How Do You Calculate the Rate of Reaction in an Enzyme Activity Lab?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the rate of reaction in a lab experiment. The speaker took 10 ml of cold distilled water and 30 ml of enzyme solution and placed it in a 50 ml beaker. They then placed a piece of paper in a beaker of 40 ml of 3.0% hydrogen peroxide solution and timed how long it took for the paper to rise from the bottom of the beaker. The speaker is trying to figure out how to calculate the rate of reaction using the formula (1/q)((d[Q])/dt), but is unsure of what to use for q. They also mentioned that their teacher told them that the rate of reaction is equal to 1/t, which they believe
GreenPrint
I'm trying to calculated the rate of reaction

In this lab I took a 50 mL beaker and poured in 10 ml of cold distilled water into it, I then poured in 30 ml of original enzyme solution (I believed we used cold potato juice or something), I then took a piece of paper and placed it into a beaker of 40 Ml of 3.0% Hydrogen Peroxide solution, after waiting for 5 seconds i then took the 2.1 cm filter paper disc from the hydrogen peroxide and placed it onto a piece of paper, after draining for 10 seconds I then placed it into my solution of 10 mL of distilled of water and 30 mL of my enzyme solution at the bottom of the 50 mL beaker then removed the forceps i was using to hold the paper and timed the time it took for the paper to rise from the bottom of the 50 mL beaker to the surface and got .83 seconds, how do I calculate the rate of reaction

THANKS!
by the way I know
the formula is
(1/q) ( (d[Q])/(dt) )

I just don't know what to use for q and I'm guessing I use 3/4 for Q?
2 hours ago - 4 days left to answer.
Additional Details
My teacher told me that the rate of reaction = 1/t which I think is just bs because that would be the frequency of the paper as it rose...

Physics news on Phys.org
I think I figuered out the biology part =) thanks

1/t is not bs.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Rate of Reaction in an Enzyme Activity Lab?

1. What is the difference between biology and chemistry?

Biology is the study of living organisms and their interactions with each other and their environment. Chemistry is the study of matter, its properties, and the changes it undergoes. While both sciences are closely related and overlap in many areas, biology focuses on living systems while chemistry focuses on non-living matter.

2. How are biology and chemistry related?

Biology and chemistry are related in many ways. The chemical processes that occur in living organisms are studied in biochemistry, which is a combination of biology and chemistry. Furthermore, understanding the chemistry of molecules and compounds is crucial for understanding biological processes and the functioning of living organisms.

3. What are some examples of how biology and chemistry intersect?

One example of the intersection of biology and chemistry is in the study of enzymes. Enzymes are biological molecules that act as catalysts and are essential for many chemical reactions in living organisms. Understanding the chemical properties of enzymes is crucial for understanding their functions in biological systems.

4. How does chemistry play a role in genetics and heredity?

Chemical reactions and processes are essential for the transmission and expression of genetic information. For example, DNA replication, which is crucial for passing on genetic information from parent to offspring, involves many chemical reactions. Additionally, the chemical properties of DNA and RNA molecules determine how genetic information is stored and expressed.

5. What are some career options for someone interested in both biology and chemistry?

There are many career options for individuals with a background in both biology and chemistry. Some examples include biochemist, pharmacologist, forensic scientist, and biotechnologist. These careers involve applying knowledge of both biology and chemistry to research, develop, and test new drugs, understand diseases, and improve various industries such as healthcare and agriculture.