How Do You Calculate the Pulling Force on a Crate for Zero Net Work?

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a 116-kg crate being pulled across a horizontal floor with a force P at an angle of 35.2° above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is given as 0.212. The question asks for the magnitude of P so that the net work done by it and the kinetic frictional force is zero. It is mentioned that the equation W=FdCos(theta) and the concept of kinetic friction is known, but there is confusion about how to solve for P. Eventually, it is clarified that the question is asking for P when the work done by P and the work done by kinetic friction cancel each other out, and the horizontal component of P should be set equal
rocky811
Hello! I need a little help here. I have been trying to figure out this problem, but I just can't and I don't know where I am going wrong.

A 116 -kg crate is being pulled across a horizontal floor by a force P that makes an angle of 35.2 ° above the horizontal. The coefficient of kinetic friction is 0.212 . What should be the magnitude of P, so that the net work done by it and the kinetic frictional force is zero?

now I know what W=FdCos(theta) and that fs=uk*F...but I just don't know where to go from there and I don't know what the end of the question means..."so that hte net work done by it and the kinetic frictional force is zero?"...does that mean I just set the net work and frictional force equal and solve for the force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Any moving object on a surface with friction will have kinetic friction.

Ah I am starting to see now. The question intends to ask "what should P be if the work done by you and the work done by kinetic friction cancel each other out?" So yeah you're right - almost. You can't set work equal to force because they are not of the same unit. Set your horizontal component of P equal to the kinetic friction experienced because if both forces cancel each other out, no work can be done in moving the box even if it's moving at a constant speed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks! That's exactly what someone said when I asked them about it today and it worked.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Pulling Force on a Crate for Zero Net Work?

What is a force/net work problem?

A force/net work problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the net work done on an object by one or more forces. Net work is the total amount of energy transferred to or from an object by a force, and it is calculated by multiplying the magnitude of the force by the distance the object moves in the direction of the force.

How do you calculate net work?

To calculate net work, you need to identify all the forces acting on an object and determine the distance the object moves in the direction of each force. Next, multiply the magnitude of each force by its corresponding distance, and then add all of these values together. The result is the net work done on the object.

What are some common units for net work?

The most common unit for net work is the joule (J), which is equivalent to a newton-meter (N*m). However, other units such as foot-pounds (ft-lb) and kilogram-meter squared per second squared (kg*m^2/s^2) can also be used for net work.

What factors can affect the net work done on an object?

The net work done on an object can be affected by several factors, including the magnitude and direction of the forces acting on the object, the distance the object moves, and the angle between the direction of the force and the direction of motion. Other factors such as friction and air resistance can also affect the net work done on an object.

How is net work related to the kinetic energy of an object?

According to the work-energy theorem, the net work done on an object is equal to the change in the object's kinetic energy. This means that if the net work done on an object is positive, the object's kinetic energy will increase, and if the net work is negative, the object's kinetic energy will decrease. This relationship can be expressed as W = ΔKE, where W is net work and ΔKE is the change in kinetic energy.