How Do You Calculate the Physics of a Race Car on a Banked Curve?

In summary, the radius of the curve is calculated to be 1488 meters. The car experiences a centripetal acceleration of 2.63 meters/second^2 when it travels around the curve. It is necessary to apply a coefficient of static friction of 0.26 in order to ensure the car's safety.
Jayker
Physics SPH4U-A Lesson 4 Question #15

A race-car driver is driving her car at a record-breaking speed of 225km/h. The first turn on the course is banked at 15 degrees, and the car's mass is 1450kg.

a) Calculate the radius of the curvature for this turn.

b) Calculate the centripetal acceleration of the car.

c) If the car maintains a circular track around the curve (does not move up or down the bank), what is the magnitude of the force of static friction?

d) What is the coefficient of static friction necessary to ensure the safety of this turn?

>
>>
>

a) Fnsin(theta)=(mv^2)/r
r=(mv^2)/Fnsin(theta)
r=(1450kgx62.5m/s)/(14,711Nxsin15)
r=1488m

b.) a=v^2/r
a=(62.5m/s)^2/1488m
a=2.63m/s^2

c.) Fs=Fnsin(theta)
=(14,711Nxsin15)
=3,807N

d.) Us=Fs/Fn
=3,807N/14,711N
=0.26

Can anyone verify that I used the correct formulas and that this information is correct?
Thanks for your time,
Jayker

Physics news on Phys.org
I think this problem is missing something ...

okay, any ideas?

Jayker said:
a) Calculate the radius of the curvature for this turn.
I don't think this is possible from the given information:

- speed of 225km/h
- turn banked at 15 degrees
- mass is 1450kg

If it had said something like, "in order to eliminate lateral contact force" ...

It is vaguely possible that I just haven't learned the basic physics principle needed (though I doubt it). The other parts of the problem rely on the result to (a), I believe. It is probably just poorly worded; ask your instructor if you need to assume anything else.

But we also know Fn

Fn=(mg)/cos15

which only leaves r out of the equation to be solved for.

Jayker said:
But we also know Fn

Fn=(mg)/cos15

which only leaves r out of the equation to be solved for.
What equation containing r are you thinking of?

Fnsin(theta)=mv^2

where Fn=mg/cos15
=(1450kgx9.8N/kg)/cos15
m=1450kg
v=225km/h=62.5m/s
theta=15 degrees

Jayker said:
Fnsin(theta)=mv^2
The problem doesn't give you enough information to know this - especially since it is asking you, in part (c), to calculate the static friction by assuming that the car is in circular motion, implying that these are extra assumption that do not apply to parts (a) and (b). I would tell the instructor that I need more information to solve this problem.

Yeah, not enough info. Obviously, you can travel around a curve with the same radius of curverature at different speeds. Does the geometry of the road uniquely determine your velocity?

A higher velocity would simply require a larger centripital force vector. If both the normal force and frictional force increase as to coninually cancel the vertical component, you can have any velocity until you break your coeficient of static friction.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Physics of a Race Car on a Banked Curve?

1. What is the difficulty level of Grade 12 Physics through ILC?

The difficulty level of Grade 12 Physics through ILC can vary depending on your background knowledge and understanding of the subject. However, it is generally considered to be a challenging course since it covers advanced topics and requires a strong foundation in mathematics and scientific concepts.

2. How is the course structured and what topics are covered?

The Grade 12 Physics course through ILC is typically divided into six units, covering topics such as kinematics, dynamics, energy and momentum, electricity and magnetism, waves and optics, and modern physics. Each unit consists of lessons, activities, and assignments to help you understand and apply the concepts.

3. Is prior knowledge of Grade 11 Physics necessary?

No, prior knowledge of Grade 11 Physics is not necessary to take Grade 12 Physics through ILC. However, having a strong foundation in Grade 11 Physics can help you better understand the concepts covered in Grade 12.

4. What resources are available to help with understanding the material?

ILC provides various resources to help you understand the material, including interactive online lessons, practice quizzes, and tutor support. Additionally, you can also use textbooks, online tutorials, and other educational websites to supplement your learning.

5. What are the benefits of taking Grade 12 Physics through ILC?

Taking Grade 12 Physics through ILC allows you to work at your own pace and schedule, making it a flexible option for those with other commitments. It also provides access to online resources, tutor support, and the opportunity to retake assignments and exams to improve your grades.