How Do You Calculate the Number of Electrons in a Mole Using Faraday's Constant?

In summary, to calculate the number of electrons in one mole using the given information of 3.407x10^-8 coulombs/mole and 1.60x10^-19 coulombs per electron, you can use the factor label method to determine that there are approximately 2.12938x10^11 electrons in one mole (Avogadro's number).
david2120
using the number obtained 3.407x10^-8 coulombs/mole and the fact that one electron has a charge of 1.60x10^-19 coulombs, calculate how many electrons there are in one mole (i.e. Avogadro's number)

I am not sure but do you do this problem like this?

3.407x10^-8coulombs/mole x 6.022x10^23electrons/mole divide 1.60x10^-19coulombs

Physics news on Phys.org
david2120 said:

Yep, that looks good to me.

~H

david2120 said:
using the number obtained 3.407x10^-8 coulombs/mole and the fact that one electron has a charge of 1.60x10^-19 coulombs, calculate how many electrons there are in one mole (i.e. Avogadro's number)
Please state the entire question - not just a part of it. Where was the number 3.407... obtained from ?

I am not sure but do you do this problem like this?

That doesn't look right to me (for one thing, it has units of [mole^-2] which are meaningless), but neither does the question as posted.

david2120 said:
using the number obtained 3.407x10^-8 coulombs/mole and the fact that one electron has a charge of 1.60x10^-19 coulombs, calculate how many electrons there are in one mole (i.e. Avogadro's number)I am not sure but do you do this problem like this?

The huge problem here is that you (improperly) used the number of electrons in a mole to determine...the number of electrons in a mole.

The problem basically boils down to "how many electrons does it take to give a charge of 3.407e-8 C.

Again as it was said above, the first given number is a bit suspicious...

Last edited:
In Lab I did an experiment in class on trying to determine Faraday's constant and I got 3.407x10^-8 and I have to used that on my calculations

Well I hate to break your hopes but you're off by a factor of 1012.

But yes like I said you just want to determine how many electrons it would take to get the charge that you experimentally determined. It's just a simple factor label problem. You are given C/m (Coulombs per mole) and want to determine N/m (number of electrons per mole) given C/N (Charge per electron)

Last edited:
oh so its 3.407x10^-8 C/m divide 1.60x10^-19coulombs which equals to

2.12938E^11 N/m (number of electrons per mole)

Related to How Do You Calculate the Number of Electrons in a Mole Using Faraday's Constant?

What is Faraday's constant?

Faraday's constant, denoted by the symbol F, is a physical constant that represents the amount of electric charge carried by one mole of electrons. It has a value of approximately 96,485.3329 coulombs per mole.

How is Faraday's constant used in chemistry?

Faraday's constant is used in chemistry to calculate the amount of electric charge that flows through a system during an electrochemical reaction. It is also used to determine the number of moles of a substance produced or consumed in an electrolytic reaction.

How is Faraday's constant determined experimentally?

Faraday's constant can be determined experimentally by performing an electrochemical reaction and measuring the amount of electric charge that flows through the system. This can be done using a device called a coulometer, which measures the amount of charge passing through a circuit.

What is the relationship between Faraday's constant and Avogadro's number?

Faraday's constant and Avogadro's number are related by the equation F = NAe, where N is Avogadro's number, A is the atomic mass of the element in grams, and e is the elementary charge of an electron. This relationship allows for the conversion between the number of moles of electrons and the number of atoms or molecules in a sample.

Why is Faraday's constant important in electrochemistry?

Faraday's constant is important in electrochemistry because it allows for the quantification of electric charge and the calculation of the amount of substance involved in an electrochemical reaction. It is also a fundamental constant in the field of electrochemistry and plays a crucial role in many chemical and industrial processes.