How Do You Calculate the Net Horizontal Force on a Dam Using Integrals?

In summary, water stands at a depth D=35 m behind the vertical upstream face of a dam of width W=314 m. The pressure increases with depth rho * g * x, and one can then use dA = W dx. The pressure at the surface of the water is pg = 14.7 psi, or 0.101325 MPa (i.e. 1 atm). The pressure as a function of depth is P(x) = pg + rho*g*x and F=Int[P(x)*W dx] is Int[rho*g*x*W*DX] (rho*g*W)Int[ x dx] from x=0-->35
Saladsamurai
Water stands at a depth D=35 m behind the vertical upstream face of a dam of width W=314 m.

Find the net horizontal force on the dam from the gauge pressure of the water:

I am quite lost here. I thought it would just be F=Pressure*Area
=(rho*g*D)(D*W). But that is horribly wrong. What am I missing?

Casey

Physics news on Phys.org
Well =(rho*g*D)(D*W) assumes constant pressure along D, which is not the case.

The pressure increases with depth rho * g * x, and one can then use dA = W dx.

The pressure at the surface of the water is pg = 14.7 psi, or 0.101325 MPa (i.e. 1 atm).

The pressure as a function of depth is P(x) = pg + rho*g*x

Try an integral F = Int (P(x) dA) = Int (P(x) W dx) with limits of 0 to D = 35 m.

Astronuc said:
Well =(rho*g*D)(D*W) assumes constant pressure along D, which is not the case.

The pressure increases with depth rho * g * x, and one can then use dA = W dx.

The pressure at the surface of the water is pg = 14.7 psi, or 0.101325 MPa (i.e. 1 atm).

The pressure as a function of depth is P(x) = pg + rho*g*x

Try an integral F = Int (P(x) dA) = Int (P(x) W dx) with limits of 0 to D = 35 m.

Hmm. I have never used integration in physics (yet:redface:)...I was just picking random problems to practice. this will be a nice first.

So dA=W dx means a differential change in Area corresponds to one in depth. That is, W is constant and here you used "x" for depth.

Now it says use the "gauge pressure" ...so I don't think I need the leading term of 1atm since gauge pressure is just the change due to depth.

So F=Int[P(x)*W dx]
=Int[rho*g*x*W*DX]
=(rho*g*W)Int[ x dx] from x=0-->35

WOW! That worked great! 1.88 *10^9 N. (correct)

Thanks Astronuc!

Casey

not to push my luck, but if you have a moment, maybe you could clear up my misunderstandings Here.:wink:

Edit:nevermind, I got it using an integral! whoooaahhhh Integrals!

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate the Net Horizontal Force on a Dam Using Integrals?

1. What is the purpose of a dam?

A dam is a structure built across a river or waterway to control the flow of water and store it in a reservoir. This stored water can then be used for various purposes such as irrigation, hydroelectric power generation, and flood control.

2. How does the pressure on a dam affect its stability?

The pressure on a dam is directly related to its stability. As the water level in the reservoir rises, the pressure on the dam increases, putting more stress on its structure. If the pressure becomes too great, it can cause the dam to fail and lead to catastrophic flooding downstream.

3. How is pressure measured on a dam?

Pressure on a dam is measured in units of force per unit area, such as pounds per square inch (psi) or kilopascals (kPa). This is typically done using instruments such as pressure gauges or piezometers, which are installed at different depths within the dam to monitor the pressure at different levels.

4. What factors can contribute to increased pressure on a dam?

Several factors can contribute to increased pressure on a dam, including heavy rainfall, snowmelt, and inflow from tributaries. Changes in the downstream water level, such as during a flood, can also increase pressure on the dam. Additionally, silt buildup in the reservoir can reduce the storage capacity and increase pressure on the dam.

5. How do engineers ensure the safety of a dam under pressure?

Engineers use a variety of methods to ensure the safety of a dam under pressure. This includes conducting regular inspections, monitoring water levels and pressure, and implementing maintenance and repair measures as needed. Advanced technologies such as remote sensing and real-time monitoring systems can also be used to detect any potential issues and prevent dam failures.