How Do You Calculate the Net Force on a Charge in an Electric Field?

In summary, the net force on a third point charge +Q located along the y-axis at y = d is k\frac{q^2}{d^2}<0,2>.
flyingpig

Homework Statement

A point charge +2Q is at the origin and a point charge -Q is located along the x-axis at x=d. Find a symbolic expression for the net force on a third point charge +Q located along the y-axis at y = d

Answer = [tex]k\frac{Q^2}{d^2}<\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}, 2 - \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}>[/tex]

Below is a Picasso of what is going on

[PLAIN]http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/842/25027988.jpg

The Attempt at a Solution

I define the charge at the origin, +2Q, to be 1 and the -Q at x = d to be 2 and Q at y = d be 3

[tex]F_{3} = F_{13} + F_{23}[/tex]

(1) [tex]F_{13} = k\frac{2q^2}{d^2}<0,1>[/tex]

(2) [tex]F_{23} = -k\frac{q^2}{2d^2}<-1,1>[/tex]

So the sum of (1) and (2) is then [tex]k\frac{q^2}{d^2}<\frac{1}{2},-\frac{1}{2}>[/tex]

(1), I had q2 because they use q as a common

(2)I had a - in front of k because it is a negative and positive charge interaction. The <-1,1> indicates that the "slope" of the vector is negative.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
In your second equation (2), your vector components are not right. You need to use a UNIT vector in that direction. Therefore, the magnitude of the vector has to be equal to 1. The vector you used <-1, 1> doesn't have magnitude of 1.

cepheid said:
In your second equation (2), your vector components are not right. You need to use a UNIT vector in that direction. Therefore, the magnitude of the vector has to be equal to 1. The vector you used <-1, 1> doesn't have magnitude of 1.

Ohhh

(2) [tex]F_{23} = -k\frac{q^2}{2\sqrt{2}d^2}<-1,1>[/tex]

flyingpig said:
Ohhh

(2) [tex]F_{23} = -k\frac{q^2}{2\sqrt{2}d^2}<-1,1>[/tex]

Close, but not quite. Check your answer. Does the vector [itex] \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}<-1,1> [/itex] have a magnitude of 1?

Hint: To get a unit vector in the direction of the vector <-1, 1>, simply take this vector and divide it by its magnitude.

cepheid said:
Close, but not quite. Check your answer. Does the vector [itex] \frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}<-1,1> [/itex] have a magnitude of 1?

Hint: To get a unit vector in the direction of the vector <-1, 1>, simply take this vector and divide it by its magnitude.

In the picture I had [tex]\sqrt{2}d[/tex], that's why there is an extra 2 in the denominator in [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}d^2}[/tex]

flyingpig said:
In the picture I had [tex]\sqrt{2}d[/tex], that's why there is an extra 2 in the denominator in [tex]\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}d^2}[/tex]

flyingpig: Don't just guess. Read my previous post. You have a vector <-1, 1>, and you want to find a unit vector in the direction of that vector. Like I just said, in order to do that, you have to take this vector <-1,1>, and divide it by its magnitude. That suggests that you need to carry out these two steps.

1. Compute the magnitude of the vector <-1,1>.
2. Divide the vector <-1,1> by the number you found for the magnitude in step 1.

Can you carry out these two steps please? They will lead you to the right unit vector.

No, I am not guessing, I know what you are talking about. The unit vector for <-1,1> is

[tex]\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}<-1,1>[/tex]

But if I use that, it still wouldn't be right.

This is my reasoning, I'll write it like this

[tex]-k\frac{q^2}{\sqrt{2}(\sqrt{2d})^2}[/tex]

[tex]\sqrt{2d}[/tex] This is the distance from 3 to 2 and that's why I had it in the denominator The other square root of 2 comes from taking the unit vector like you suggested.

Afterwards, I added then and I still get (if I get rid of the 2)

[tex]k\frac{q^2}{d^2}<\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}, 2 - \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}>[/tex]

OH, sorry, yes, I do see what you mean. The force of 2 on 3 is given by

[tex]
-k\frac{q^2}{2d^2}<-\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}},\frac{1}{\sqrt{2}}>[/tex]

Now we can take the extra step to leave only kq^2/d^2 on the outside, and put everything else inside the angle brackets. Then the expression becomes:

[tex]k\frac{q^2}{d^2}<\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}},-\frac{1}{2\sqrt{2}}>[/tex]

So I agree with you after all. Now you have to add this to the force of charge 1 on charge 3, which can be re-written as:

[tex]k\frac{q^2}{d^2}<0,2>[/tex]

where all I have done here is to take the factor of 2 in the numerator and distribute it to both terms inside the angle brackets.

Now, if you add these two forces together, you will get the correct answer given in your original post.

Yes, last night it came to me! Thanks

Related to How Do You Calculate the Net Force on a Charge in an Electric Field?

1. What is a charge problem?

A charge problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the electric charge on different objects and determining the resulting electrical force between them. This can include problems related to static electricity, electric fields, and electric circuits.

2. How is net force related to charges?

Net force is the overall force that results from the combination of all the individual forces acting on an object. In the case of charges, the net force is determined by the magnitude and direction of the electric forces between charged objects. If the net force is zero, the charges will be in equilibrium and not move.

3. What is Coulomb's law and how is it used in charge problems?

Coulomb's law is a fundamental law of electrostatics that describes the force between two charged objects. It states that the force between two point charges is directly proportional to the product of their charges and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between them. This law is used to calculate the magnitude of the electric force in charge problems.

4. How do you calculate the net charge on an object?

The net charge on an object is the sum of all the individual charges on that object. If the object has a positive charge, the net charge will be positive. If the object has a negative charge, the net charge will be negative. In some cases, the net charge may be zero if the object has an equal number of positive and negative charges.

5. How does the distribution of charges affect the net force?

The distribution of charges on an object can affect the net force in different ways. If the charges are evenly distributed, the net force may be zero. However, if there is an imbalance in the distribution of charges, the net force may be non-zero and result in the object moving in a certain direction. Additionally, the distance between charges can also impact the net force, as described by Coulomb's law.