How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for Different Shapes in Physics?

In summary, the moment of inertia for a collection of pointlike masses is calculated by multiplying the mass of each mass by its distance from the axis of rotation squared and then summing these values. The moment of inertia for a rectangle is calculated by multiplying the mass of the rectangle by its distance from the axis of rotation squared and then dividing by 12.
Ion1776
1. Four small balls of identical mass 2.36 kg are arranged in a rigid structure as a regular tetrahedron. (A regular tetrahedron has four faces, each of which is an equilateral triangle.) Each edge of the tetrahedron has length 3.20 m. What is the moment of inertia of the system, for an axis of rotation passing perpendicularly through the center of one of the faces of the tetrahedron?

So we need to find moment of inertia for spheres

(7/5)(2.36)(3.20)=10.57 (This isn't correct so i don't know what to do

2. Two thin, square slabs of metal, each with side length of 0.34 m and mass 0.29 kg, are welded together in a T shape and rotated on an axis through their line of intersection. What is the moment of inertia of the T?

So we need to find moment of inertia for slabs

(1/12)(0.29)(0.34)=.00279 (this is not correct)

Can someone correct me on these two problems

Physics news on Phys.org
1. What is the equation for moment of inertia of a collection of pointlike masses?

2. What is the equation for moment of inertia of a rectangle?

?

I would suggest first checking your calculations and units to ensure they are correct. For the first problem, the moment of inertia for a sphere is given by I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis of rotation. Since the spheres are arranged in a regular tetrahedron, the distance from the axis of rotation to the center of mass of each sphere is (3.20/2) = 1.60 m. So, the moment of inertia for one sphere would be I = (2/5)(2.36)(1.60)^2 = 3.80 kgm^2. Since there are four spheres, the total moment of inertia for the system would be 4(3.80) = 15.20 kgm^2.

For the second problem, the moment of inertia for a rectangular slab is given by I = (1/12)ml^2, where m is the mass and l is the length of one side. Since the two slabs are welded together in a T shape, the moment of inertia would be the sum of the individual moments of inertia for each slab. So, I = (1/12)(0.29)(0.34)^2 + (1/12)(0.29)(0.34)^2 = 0.00279 kgm^2.

I would also suggest checking with your teacher or classmates for clarification on the problem and any specific equations or concepts that may be relevant. It is always important to double check your work and seek help when needed to ensure accuracy in scientific calculations.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for Different Shapes in Physics?

1. How do I solve these physics problems?

To solve these physics problems, it is important to first understand the concepts involved. Make sure you have a clear understanding of the relevant equations and principles. Then, carefully read and analyze the given information and identify what is being asked. From there, you can apply the appropriate equations and solve for the unknown variable.

2. What should I do if I am stuck on a physics problem?

If you are stuck on a physics problem, take a step back and review the information you have been given. Make sure you are using the correct equations and units. If you are still having trouble, try breaking the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts. You can also seek help from a teacher or tutor.

3. How can I check if my answer to a physics problem is correct?

To check if your answer to a physics problem is correct, you can use the given information and your answer to see if it makes sense. For example, if you solved for velocity, make sure it has the correct units and falls within a reasonable range. You can also use online resources or ask a classmate or teacher to check your work.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid in solving physics problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid in solving physics problems include using incorrect units, not showing all work and calculations, and using the wrong equations or formulas. It is also important to pay attention to significant figures and rounding correctly.

5. How can I improve my problem-solving skills in physics?

To improve your problem-solving skills in physics, practice solving a variety of problems and make sure you understand the concepts behind them. You can also work with a study group or seek help from a teacher or tutor. Additionally, try to approach problems logically and step-by-step, and always double-check your work for errors.