How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Sphere Using Shell Integration?

In summary, to calculate the moment of inertia of a sphere of mass M and radius R, one can integrate over thin shells by decomposing the sphere into infinitesimal shells with surface area of 4πr2. The mass of each shell is given by dm = ρ(4πr2)dr, where ρ is the density. Integrating this expression yields I = 2mrdr from 0 to R, which simplifies to I = mr2. However, this approach is incorrect as the value for dm should be replaced with (3m/r)dr under the integral sign. This results in I = 2mrdr from 0 to R, which gives the correct answer of I = (2
Zamba

Homework Statement

calculate the moment of inertia of a sphere of mass M and radius R by integrating over thin shells

Homework Equations

Ishell=(2/3)mR2

The Attempt at a Solution

this is what i have so far
the sphere is decomposed into infinitesimal shells with surface area 4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2
the mass of each shell is dm=[tex]\rho[/tex](4[tex]\pi[/tex]r2)dr
after expanding rho and canceling terms I get
dm=(3m/r)dr

I=[tex]\int[/tex](2/3)(dm)r2dr from 0 to R.
I=2mrdr from 0 to R
this gives me I=mr2

does anyone see what I did wrong?
PS. those "pi" are not supposed to be powers. sorry, I'm not sure how to change them

Physics news on Phys.org
You did not replace dm with ρ(4πr2) under the integral sign. Instead, you integrated dm into m and then integrated over dr once more.

i'm sorry, i didn't write it all out

I=[tex]\int[/tex](2/3)dmr2 dr
from here I replaced dm with (3m/r)dr so i got

I=[tex]\int[/tex](2/3)(3m/r)r2 dr
then i got
I=[tex]\int[/tex]2mr dr from 0 to R
which gave me mr2

Zamba said:
... from here I replaced dm with (3m/r)dr...
And why is that correct? What expression did you use for the density?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Sphere Using Shell Integration?

1. What is the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is a physical property that depends on the mass distribution of the sphere and the axis of rotation.

2. How do you calculate the moment of inertia of a sphere?

The moment of inertia of a sphere can be calculated using the formula I = (2/5)mr^2, where m is the mass of the sphere and r is the radius. This formula assumes that the mass is evenly distributed throughout the sphere.

3. What is the unit of measurement for moment of inertia?

The unit of measurement for moment of inertia is kilogram-meter squared (kgm^2) in the SI system. In the imperial system, it is expressed as slug-foot squared (slugft^2).

4. How does the moment of inertia of a sphere change with radius?

The moment of inertia of a sphere increases with the square of the radius. This means that as the radius increases, the moment of inertia also increases. This is because the mass distribution becomes farther away from the axis of rotation, making it more difficult to rotate the sphere.

5. How does the moment of inertia of a hollow sphere differ from a solid sphere?

The moment of inertia of a hollow sphere is greater than that of a solid sphere with the same mass and radius. This is because the mass is concentrated at the outer surface of the hollow sphere, increasing its distance from the axis of rotation and therefore its moment of inertia.