How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Rotating Slab?

In summary, a thin rectangular slab with dimensions 0.580 m by 0.830 m and mass 0.150 kg, rotated about an axis 0.230 m from the short edge, has a moment of inertia of 0.013745 kg m^2. The correct formula for this problem is Ip=Icm + Mh^2, where Icm=1/12 ML^2 and h is the distance from the edge of the slab to the axis.
sheepcountme

Homework Statement

A thin rectangular slab, with dimensions 0.580 m by 0.830 m and mass 0.150 kg, is rotated about an axis passing through the slab parallel to the short edge. If the axis is 0.230 m from the short edge, what is the moment of inertia of the slab?

Homework Equations

Ip=Icm+mh^2

The Attempt at a Solution

So, I used the formula for inertia of a slap (I=1/12 x m x L^2) and plugged this in for Icm above:
Ip=1/12 x M (L^2) + M x h^2
Ip=1/12 (.150)(.83^2)+.150(.230^2)
Ip=.008611+.007935
Ip=.0165

But this wasn't correct, could you tell me where I went wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
For problems like this I always find it useful to draw a sketch of my object along with the axes I'm taking moments of inertia around.

Having done that, I think your error is that in applying Ip=Icm+mh^2 (parallel axis theorem) you've taken H to be 0.230 - which is incorrect, since H is the distance from the centre of mass to your new axis, yet 0.230 in this case is the distance from the edge of your slab to your axis.

So you should use H = 0.185 (which is 0.830/2 - 0.230).

EDIT: Oops. I said L, but I meant H, sorry.

Last edited:
Also you used the moment of inertia of a rod.

You need to use the moment of inertia of a rectangular lamina which is

[tex]I_c = \frac{1}{12}M(a^2+b^2)[/tex]

Our book explains that I=1/12 M L^2 is also used for a slab with the axis through the center parallel to the edge. Isn't I=1/12 M (a^2 + b^2) used if the axis is through the center?

sheepcountme said:
Our book explains that I=1/12 M L^2 is also used for a slab with the axis through the center parallel to the edge. Isn't I=1/12 M (a^2 + b^2) used if the axis is through the center?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

[tex]Rod = \frac{1}{12}ML^2[/tex]

[tex] Rectangular Plate = \frac{1}{12}M(a^2+b^2)[/tex]

I'm just telling you what our book says:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/aliceinunderwear/Picture1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm afraid using the L as above, and also trying to use the I=1/12 x M (a^2+b^2) were also wrong according to the book.

As you said, I=1/12 M L^2 is for a slab with the axis passing through the center. In this problem the axis doesn't pass through the center.

Yes, so I used the parallel axis theorem: Ip=Icm + Mh^2
Was this incorrect?

rock.freak667 said:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_moments_of_inertia

[tex]Rod = \frac{1}{12}ML^2[/tex]

[tex] Rectangular Plate = \frac{1}{12}M(a^2+b^2)[/tex]

The axis is through the centre (at least until we shift it using the parallel axis theorem), but parallel to the short edge, so the moment of inertia will actually be:

[tex]I_{cm}=\frac{1}{12}ML^2[/tex]

It's easy enough to verify this from first principles (which is normally a good idea when you're unsure if an equation is valid in a certain context) by using the definition of the moment of inertia as an integral.

Then using the parallel axis theorem and substituting:

[tex]I_{p}=\frac{1}{12}ML^2 + MH^2[/tex]

Which is the moment of inertia that you want - but of course you already figured that out. Note that here, L is 0.830m and H is the distance from the edge to the new axis (should be 0.830/2 - 0.230, just by geometry).

If it's still 'wrong', then perhaps the answer in your book is misprinted? I got:

[tex]I_{p}= 0.013745 kg m^2[/tex]

Is that the answer in your book?

I misread the parallel to the edge part.

Jmf - yes! Thank you so much! As it turns out I actually had it right one of the many times I calculated it but I rounded too early and our HW is online and is SO tempermental about how one enters things!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Rotating Slab?

1. What is moment of inertia on a slab?

Moment of inertia on a slab is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is also known as rotational inertia and is calculated by summing the products of the mass and the square of the distance from the axis of rotation for all the particles in the object.

2. How is moment of inertia on a slab different from moment of inertia on a point mass?

Moment of inertia on a slab takes into account the distribution of mass throughout the object, while moment of inertia on a point mass only considers the mass at a single point. This means that moment of inertia on a slab will be larger than moment of inertia on a point mass with the same mass and distance from the axis of rotation.

3. What factors affect the moment of inertia on a slab?

The moment of inertia on a slab is affected by the mass of the object, the distance of the mass from the axis of rotation, and the shape and distribution of the mass. Objects with more mass, greater distance from the axis, and a larger distribution of mass will have a higher moment of inertia.

4. How is moment of inertia on a slab used in real-world applications?

Moment of inertia on a slab is an important concept in engineering and physics, particularly in the design of structures and machinery. It helps determine the stability and strength of an object and is often used in the calculation of torque, angular acceleration, and rotational kinetic energy.

5. Is there a formula for calculating moment of inertia on a slab?

Yes, the formula for calculating moment of inertia on a slab is I = ∫r² dm, where I is the moment of inertia, r is the distance from the axis of rotation, and dm is the differential mass element. However, the specific formula may vary depending on the shape and distribution of the mass in the object.