How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Disk Rotated Off-Center?

In summary, the conversation discussed a question about calculating the moment of inertia of a thin uniform disk being rotated about an axis of rotation. The question arose regarding whether the moment of inertia of the smaller portion above the axis should be subtracted from the larger portion below the axis. The concept of "above" and "below" in this context was explored, as well as the possible impact of changing the orientation of the diagram. The suggestion was made to apply the parallel axis theorem to test the theory.
Sweeney91
Hi, I just got of a test that had a question about moment of inertia on it. The question "Calculate the moment of inertia of a thin uniformed disk that is being rotated about an axis of rotation". This axis is halfway between the center of the disk and the outer perimeter. The mass of the disk is M and the radius of the disk is R. The question that came to me while taking the test was "is because a quarter of the disk is above the axis of rotation and the rest of the circle is below it do you subtract the moment of inertia of the little part (part above axis of rotation) away from the moment of inertia of the big part (part below axis of rotation). The question above isn't worded exactly as is was on the test, but I worded it in a way I felt easies to understand. I'm not trying to cheat or anything, I just want to know my theory was correct or not. I asked a few fellow students and none of them could give me a definitive answer. I googled almost everything, but I couldn't fine an example similar to this. I feel this is the best way to get the answer that I am seeking. If possible please answer the question above, and then let me know if I was on the right track.

Physics news on Phys.org
What does "above" and "below" mean in this context? Coordinate axes are arbitrary. What if you turned the diagram upside down? Would you then subtract the larger portion from the smaller and get a negative moment of inertia? How about if you turned it sideways? Would it make sense for orientation to affect the result?

You could try doing the math for your idea to see if the result matches what the known answer is. Do you know how to apply the parallel axis theorem?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Disk Rotated Off-Center?

What is moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk, also known as rotational inertia, is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is the rotational equivalent of mass in linear motion.

How is moment of inertia of a disk calculated?

The moment of inertia of a disk can be calculated using the formula I = 1/2 * m * r^2, where I is the moment of inertia, m is the mass of the disk, and r is the radius of the disk.

What factors affect the moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is affected by its mass, distribution of mass, and shape. A disk with a larger mass or a larger radius will have a greater moment of inertia, while a disk with the mass concentrated towards the edges will have a larger moment of inertia compared to one with the mass concentrated towards the center.

What is the significance of moment of inertia of a disk?

The moment of inertia of a disk is an important concept in rotational dynamics as it helps predict how an object will behave when a torque is applied to it. It is also used in designing and analyzing rotating systems, such as wheels and flywheels.

How does moment of inertia of a disk differ from that of other shapes?

The moment of inertia of a disk is unique to its geometry and mass distribution. Other shapes, such as a rod or a sphere, have different formulas and values for moment of inertia. It is important to understand the differences in order to accurately predict the behavior of different objects in rotational motion.