How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Compound Disk?

In summary, a compound disk with an outside diameter of 138 cm, made up of a solid disk and a concentric ring with different area densities, has a moment of inertia of 10.27 kg m^2 about an axis perpendicular to its plane and passing through its center. This is calculated by adding the moments of inertia of the individual components, which are 1920.9 kg m^2 for the solid disk and 83126.6 kg m^2 for the ring.
cantgetno

Homework Statement

A compound disk of outside diameter 138 cm is made up of a uniform solid disk of radius 39.0 cm and area density 5.40 g/cm^2 surrounded by a concentric ring of inner radius 39.0 cm, outer radius 69.0 cm, and area density 2.60 g/cm^2.

Find the moment of inertia of this object about an axis perpendicular to the plane of the object and passing through its center.

Homework Equations

I=m r^2
area = pi r^2

The Attempt at a Solution

Mass

pi x 39^2 = 4778 cm2
4778x5.40 = 25801.2g =25.801kg

pi x 69^2 (-4778) = 10179cm2
10179x2.60=26465.4g =26.465kg

i now don't understand how to work out the inertia

Physics news on Phys.org
Look up the formula for the moment of inertia of a disk and a ring.

I= 0.5 m r^2
I = 0.5 x 25.8 x 39^2 = 1920.9

And for the other:
I= 0.5 m(r1^2 + r2^2)
I=0.5 x 26.465 x (39^2 +69^2) = 83126.6

do i add these together? giving
102747.465 ?

Yes the moments about the same point add for a compound moment.

Not sure about your math.

thanks
10.27 kg m^2 is the answer :)

Related to How Do You Calculate the Moment of Inertia for a Compound Disk?

What is inertia of weighted rings?

Inertia of weighted rings refers to the resistance of a ring to changes in its state of motion. It is a measure of how difficult it is to change the rotational motion of the ring.

How is inertia of weighted rings calculated?

Inertia of weighted rings can be calculated using the formula: I = MR^2, where I is the moment of inertia, M is the mass of the ring, and R is the radius of the ring.

What factors affect the inertia of weighted rings?

The main factors that affect the inertia of weighted rings are the mass and distribution of the weight. The higher the mass and the farther the weight is from the center of rotation, the higher the inertia will be.

How does inertia of weighted rings affect their motion?

Inertia of weighted rings determines how easily the rings can be accelerated or decelerated, as well as how long they will continue to rotate once a force is applied. Higher inertia results in slower and longer-lasting motion, while lower inertia results in faster and shorter-lived motion.

What are some real-world applications of inertia of weighted rings?

Inertia of weighted rings is relevant in various fields, such as engineering, physics, and sports. It is used in the design of rotating machinery, such as turbines and flywheels, and in understanding the motion of celestial bodies. In sports, it is important in determining the spin and stability of objects like frisbees and gymnastics rings.