How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Rotating Square Plate?

In summary, a square plate with a side length of 1.2 m is given an angular acceleration of 4.8 rad/s2 by an applied torque of 300 N · m. Using the equations t = lα and l = 1/12M(l^2 + w^2), the plate's mass is determined to be 260.42 kg, assuming the length and width are both 1.2 m.
SteveS

Homework Statement

1. A square plate has a side length of 1.2 m. An applied torque of 300 N · m gives the plate an angular acceleration of 4.8 rad/s2 about an axis through the centre of the plate. Determine the plate’s mass.

Homework Equations

t = lα

l = 1/12M(l^2 + w^2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I substituted the second equation into the first and rearranged to isolate mass getting

M = t / (1/12 * (1.2^2 + 1.2^20) * (4.8 rad / s^2)) = 260.42 kg, or 2.6x10^2 kg

I'm just wondering if I've done this question correctly.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good!

One query... you seem to have used a lower case "el" (lower case L) for both a length and the moment of inertia. It would be more usual to use an uppercase "eye" (I) for the latter.

Yeah, that's something I've picked up from my textbook. I know its supposed to be an "eye" but I've been in the habit of using a symbol that looks like an I but with a rounded tail on the bottom.. maybe this character, ι, not sure why my text uses that at times. Thanks for pointing it out, mentally I think "eye"

SteveS said:
Yeah, that's something I've picked up from my textbook. I know its supposed to be an "eye" but I've been in the habit of using a symbol that looks like an I but with a rounded tail on the bottom.. maybe this character, ι, not sure why my text uses that at times. Thanks for pointing it out, mentally I think "eye"
Yes, could be intended as iota.

when substituting into I = 1/12M(L^2 + w^2), i understand that L= 1.2m but how did u come to the conclusion that w is also 1.2 m. I understand that if this were a square but its a plate

chemtal said:
when substituting into I = 1/12M(L^2 + w^2), i understand that L= 1.2m but how did u come to the conclusion that w is also 1.2 m. I understand that if this were a square but its a plate
It states "square plate".
The one thing that is not entirely clear is the orientation of the axis. It just says it is through the centre, but in principle that could be in any direction.

haruspex said:
It states "square plate".
The one thing that is not entirely clear is the orientation of the axis. It just says it is through the centre, but in principle that could be in any direction.
so it is safe to assume that the length and width are both 1.2?

chemtal said:
so it is safe to assume that the length and width are both 1.2?
Yes.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Rotating Square Plate?

1. What is a moment of inertia?

A moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. It is calculated based on an object's mass, shape, and distribution of mass around its axis of rotation.

2. How is moment of inertia different from mass?

Moment of inertia and mass are related but distinct properties. Mass is a measure of an object's resistance to linear motion, while moment of inertia is a measure of an object's resistance to rotational motion.

3. What is the formula for calculating moment of inertia?

The formula for moment of inertia varies depending on the shape of the object. For a point mass rotating around a fixed axis, the formula is I = mr^2, where m is the mass and r is the distance from the axis. For more complex shapes, the formula involves integrals of the mass distribution over the object's volume.

4. How is moment of inertia useful in physics?

Moment of inertia is a crucial concept in rotational dynamics and is used to analyze the behavior of objects in rotational motion. It is also used in engineering and design to determine the strength and stability of structures.

5. Can moment of inertia be negative?

No, moment of inertia cannot be negative. It is always a positive value, as it represents an object's resistance to changes in its rotational motion. A negative value would imply that the object is easier to rotate in one direction than the other, which is not physically possible.