How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Planet in Circular Orbit?

In summary, a planet orbiting a star experiences a force of magnitude 3x1022N due to gravitational attraction to the star. If the planet has a speed of 2x107 m/s to complete on orbit, calculate the mass of the planet and radius of the orbit? Assume the orbit to be a perfect circle.
DangoTango

Homework Statement

A planet orbiting a star experiences a force of magnitude 3x1022N due to gravitational attraction to the star. If the planet has a speed of 2x107 m/s to complete on orbit, calculate the mass of the planet and radius of the orbit? Assume the orbit to be a perfect circle.

Homework Equations

astro02.gif

I believe I have to use these equations but none of them really work for me at the moment.
gravity-solving-a-uniform-circular-motion-equation.png

I figured this would have something to do with it but I don't understand it.

The Attempt at a Solution

When I use any of the equations above I'm always missing something. These equations have been given by my teacher but at this point I'm not even sure I have the right equations. My attempt at a solution isn't even worth writing here. Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org
DangoTango said:
When I use any of the equations above I'm always missing something. These equations have been given by my teacher but at this point I'm not even sure I have the right equations. My attempt at a solution isn't even worth writing here. Please help!

It seems to me you need more information, like the mass of the star. What you have is correct, but only the ratio ##\frac{m}{r}## can be found,

PeroK said:
It seems to me you need more information, like the mass of the star. What you have is correct, but only the ratio ##\frac{m}{r}## can be found,
Yeah that's what I was thinking bu thtis question was left as a challenge meaning that there must be something that can be done. I'd like to point out that it says the planet's orbit is a perfect circle.

That orbit speed, 2 x 107 m/s seems awfully high to me. That's over 20,000 km/sec. For comparison Mercury's orbit speed is less that 50 km/sec, Earth's is around 30 km/sec. So, not a typical situation.

This planet couldn't orbit a typical star like our Sun (that orbit speed would imply an orbit well inside the Sun). So I'm thinking maybe you need to guess the nature of the star it orbits to deduce additional information?

DangoTango said:
Yeah that's what I was thinking bu thtis question was left as a challenge meaning that there must be something that can be done. I'd like to point out that it says the planet's orbit is a perfect circle.

Why not take the planet's mass to be a) the Earth's mass; b) Mercury's mass and see what solutions you get for the star's mass, ##M##, and the orbital radius, ##r##?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Mass of a Planet in Circular Orbit?

1. How did scientists first understand the motion of planets?

Scientists first understood the motion of planets through the observations of ancient astronomers like Ptolemy and Copernicus. They observed the movements of the planets in the sky and developed models to explain their behavior.

2. What is the difference between geocentric and heliocentric models of planetary motion?

The geocentric model of planetary motion states that the Earth is the center of the universe and all other celestial bodies revolve around it. The heliocentric model, on the other hand, states that the sun is the center of the solar system and the planets revolve around it.

3. How does gravity affect the motion of planets?

Gravity is the force that holds the planets in orbit around the sun. It causes the planets to constantly move in an elliptical path around the sun, with the sun at one of the foci of the ellipse.

4. What is Kepler's first law of planetary motion?

Kepler's first law, also known as the law of ellipses, states that the orbit of each planet around the sun is an ellipse with the sun at one of the foci. This means that the distance between the planet and the sun varies throughout its orbit.

5. How does the tilt of a planet's axis affect its motion?

The tilt of a planet's axis affects its motion by causing seasons. As the planet orbits the sun, its tilted axis causes different parts of the planet to receive varying amounts of sunlight, resulting in the changing of seasons. The tilt also affects the path of the planet's orbit, causing it to slightly wobble as it rotates around the sun.