How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Moment of a Current Loop?

In summary: An ellipse has the following equation for its perimeter: r = x_hat*(a*cos(t)) + y_hat*(b*sin(t)). Cosine and sine are both functions of t, so by taking the cross product of these two functions and doing the integral, you can get the area of the ellipse.
iknowone
I cannot figure out how to solve this problem:

The calculation of the magnetic moment of a current loop leads to the line integral (around a closed loop)

INT r x dr

a) Integrate around the perimeter of a current loop (in the xy plane) and show that the scalar magnitude of this line integral is twice the area of the enclosed surface.

b) The perimeter of an ellipse is described by r = x_hat*(a*cos(t)) + y_hat*(b*sin(t)), Using part (a) show that the area of the ellipse is pi*a*b.

notation (x_hat, y_hat are unit vectors in the x and y directions respectively)

Thank you for your help.

Physics news on Phys.org
A) You can show this most easily by a sketch of the loop.
rXdr is seen to be twice the area of a triangle with one corner at the center of the loop and the opposite leg on the circumference. Doing the integral means adding up all these areas and getting 2S. It can also be done using vector calculus, but that is a bit tricky.

B) For b, just take the cross product of the given r with dr (the differential of the given r) and do the integral over t from 0 to 2 pi.

I need help with this same problem so rather than create a new thread I figured I'd just respond to this one. I've tried many ways to approach this problem including the use of Stoke's theorem to rewrite the line integral as a surface integral, but I still can't get it. For part a to show that the scalar magnitude of the line integral is twice the area of the enclosed surface, does that involve using 2pi for the perimeter of the loop? Any help with this problem would be immensely appreciated. Thank you.

Also, I'm trying to solve part A using vector calculus. I have a midterm tomorrow and I have a strong feeling this will be on there.. :(

A hint to get this problem started or set up would suffice!

Did you try what Meir Achuz suggested?

Other than that, I'd imagine it's easiest to do part (a) for a rectangle. Then you can build up any shape out of infinitesimal rectangles.

Or if you're trying to use theorems of vector calculus, have a look at theorem[/url] (it's a special case of Stokes' theorem, but probably a little less mysterious how to apply it here).

Last edited by a moderator:
I had Green's theorem in mind, but I'm stuck on the part where I need to show that the line integral is 2 times the surface integral..
unless I'm understanding the problem wrong.

Did you happen to look at the part at the bottom of the wiki article entitled "Area calculation"? I think that's just the sort of thing you're trying to do here.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Moment of a Current Loop?

1. What is vector integration in terms of magnetic moment?

Vector integration in terms of magnetic moment is a mathematical technique used to calculate the total magnetic moment of a system. It involves integrating the individual magnetic moments of all the particles in the system.

2. How is vector integration related to magnetic fields?

Vector integration is closely related to magnetic fields because it helps in determining the overall magnetic field strength and direction of a system. By integrating the magnetic moments of all the particles, we can calculate the net magnetic field at a particular point.

3. What are some applications of vector integration in magnetic moment?

Vector integration in magnetic moment has various applications, including studying the magnetic properties of materials, determining the strength of electromagnets, and analyzing the behavior of particles in a magnetic field, among others.

4. What are the mathematical equations involved in vector integration for magnetic moment?

The mathematical equations involved in vector integration for magnetic moment depend on the specific system being studied. However, some common equations include the Biot-Savart law, which relates the magnetic field to the current-carrying wire, and Ampere's law, which relates the magnetic field to the current flowing through a closed loop.

5. How does vector integration differ from scalar integration?

Vector integration differs from scalar integration in that it takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the quantities being integrated. Scalar integration, on the other hand, only considers the magnitude. In the context of magnetic moment, vector integration is used to determine the overall magnetic strength and direction, while scalar integration is used to calculate the total charge or mass of a system.