How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field Inside a Solenoid?

In summary, the question asks for the magnitude of the magnetic field inside a 470-turn solenoid with a length of 25cm and a diameter of 10cm, carrying a current of 0.29A. Using the equation B=μ_0nI, where n is the number of turns per unit length and μ_0 is the permeability of free space, we get a value of 0.68mT. However, the answer provided is 0.71mT, suggesting a possible error in the problem or answer key.
Arman777
Insights Author
Gold Member

Homework Statement

A 470-turn solenoid having a length of 25cm and a diameter of 10cm carries current of 0.29A. Calculate the magnitude of the magnetic field inside the solenoid.

Homework Equations

##B=μ_0nI##
where ##n=\frac N L##
##μ_0=4π.10^{-7}\frac {Tm} {A} ##
##n=\frac {470} {0.25m}=1880\frac 1 m##

The Attempt at a Solution

##B=μ_0nI##
##B=4π.10^{-7}\frac {Tm} {A} 1880\frac 1 m 0.29A##
It gives me ##0.68mT## but answer says its ##0.71mT##

I didnt understand where I am doing wrong.Question also gives us the diameter but I don't know where to use it.

Physics news on Phys.org
Your calculations look okay to me.

Someone may have changed the problem a bit (to make it a "new" problem) but forgot to update the answer key. I note that had the current been 0.30 A rather than 0.29 A that their answer would be correct.

gneill said:
Your calculations look okay to me.

Someone may have changed the problem a bit (to make it a "new" problem) but forgot to update the answer key. I note that had the current been 0.30 A rather than 0.29 A that their answer would be correct.
Probably yeah thanks

Related to How Do You Calculate the Magnetic Field Inside a Solenoid?

1. What is a solenoid?

A solenoid is a coil of wire that generates a magnetic field when an electric current passes through it. It is typically in the shape of a cylinder or helix.

2. How does a solenoid create a magnetic field?

When an electric current flows through a solenoid, it creates a magnetic field that is perpendicular to the direction of the current. The strength of the magnetic field depends on the number of turns in the coil, the current, and the material of the core.

3. What factors affect the strength of a solenoid's magnetic field?

The strength of a solenoid's magnetic field is affected by the number of turns in the coil, the current, and the material of the core. Increasing any of these factors will result in a stronger magnetic field.

4. How is the direction of a solenoid's magnetic field determined?

The direction of a solenoid's magnetic field can be determined using the right-hand rule. If you point your thumb in the direction of the current, then the direction of your fingers will indicate the direction of the magnetic field.

5. What are some applications of solenoids?

Solenoids have many practical applications, such as in electromagnets, electric motors, and magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) machines. They are also commonly used in door locks, valves, and other mechanical devices.