How Do You Calculate the Launch Speed of a Ball in a Pinball Machine?

In summary, the ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring with a force constant of 1.10 N/cm and the surface on which the ball moves is inclined 10.0° with respect to the horizontal. When the spring is initially compressed 4.00 cm, the launching speed of a 0.100 kg ball can be found by applying the Conservation of Mechanical Energy. The initial kinetic and potential energy are both assumed to be zero, but the final potential energy is not zero due to the incline. To solve the problem, the height (h) must be found by using the distance traveled (4cm) and the angle of incline (10.0°). Once the height is known, the final
Touchme
The ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring with a force constant of 1.10 N/cm (Fig. P5.71). The surface on which the ball moves is inclined 10.0° with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially compressed 4.00 cm, find the launching speed of a 0.100 kg ball when the plunger is released. Friction and the mass of the plunger are negligible.

I converted all the cm to m (0.011 N/m and 0.04m). I apply the Conservation of mechanical energy. Initial KE and PE is 0. I also set final PE as 0 and solved for final velocity. So I tried (1/2)(k)(x^2) = (1/2)mv^2
however it is incorrect. I also try taking the final velocity and dividing it by cos 10. Wrong and not sure why I did that :confused: . What am I doing wrong?

Attachments

• spring.gif
    spring.gif
    4.8 KB · Views: 753
Physics news on Phys.org
Touchme said:
The ball launcher in a pinball machine has a spring with a force constant of 1.10 N/cm (Fig. P5.71). The surface on which the ball moves is inclined 10.0° with respect to the horizontal. If the spring is initially compressed 4.00 cm, find the launching speed of a 0.100 kg ball when the plunger is released. Friction and the mass of the plunger are negligible.

I converted all the cm to m (0.011 N/m and 0.04m). I apply the Conservation of mechanical energy. Initial KE and PE is 0. I also set final PE as 0 and solved for final velocity. So I tried (1/2)(k)(x^2) = (1/2)mv^2
however it is incorrect. I also try taking the final velocity and dividing it by cos 10. Wrong and not sure why I did that :confused: . What am I doing wrong?
The final PE is not zero. There are two sources of PE important to this problem. Furthermore, your statement that the initial PE is zero is contradicted by your equation

(1/2)(k)(x^2) = (1/2)mv^2

What this equation implies is that the initial potential energy of the spring is converted to kinetic energy of the ball. That's good as far as it goes, but it leaves out that other potential energy consideration.

Last edited:
If the final PE is not zero, the problem is how to determine the PE if the only distance given is the displacement from equilibrium. Furthermore, the height is unknown.

Touchme said:
If the final PE is not zero, the problem is how to determine the PE if the only distance given is the displacement from equilibrium. Furthermore, the height is unknown.
The plunger is on an incline. You know how far the plunger moves. When the plunger is released the spring does work on the ball equal to its stored energy. Some of that work increases the gravitiaonal potential energy of the ball because it goes up the incline. The rest of the work is the kinetic energy of the ball

Hmm... I think I understand now. The plunger moves 4cm because that is the distance traveled when the plunger is launched. Also the 4cm is the distance moved up an incline, so I have to find the h value (4sin10). Am I on the right track, if so then I think I can solve this?

Touchme said:
Hmm... I think I understand now. The plunger moves 4cm because that is the distance traveled when the plunger is launched. Also the 4cm is the distance moved up an incline, so I have to find the h value (4sin10). Am I on the right track, if so then I think I can solve this?
Yes. That is what you need.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Launch Speed of a Ball in a Pinball Machine?

What is a Spring Ball Launcher?

A Spring Ball Launcher is a device used to launch small balls or objects using the energy stored in a coiled spring.

How does a Spring Ball Launcher work?

A Spring Ball Launcher works by compressing a spring with potential energy and then releasing it, converting the potential energy into kinetic energy which propels the ball forward.

What materials are needed to build a Spring Ball Launcher?

The materials needed to build a Spring Ball Launcher include a spring, a release mechanism, a base or platform, and a projectile such as a small ball or object.

What are the potential dangers of using a Spring Ball Launcher?

The potential dangers of using a Spring Ball Launcher include the risk of the projectile hitting someone or something, and the risk of the spring snapping or releasing unexpectedly.

What are some applications of a Spring Ball Launcher?

A Spring Ball Launcher can be used for various purposes such as launching projectiles in science experiments, as a toy for children, and in sports like baseball or tennis for training purposes.