How Do You Calculate the Kinetic Energy of a Spinning Triangular Metal Sheet?

In summary: Double IntegralThe double integral can be easily evaluated.KE = (1/2)mv2KE = 1/2 * (2/3 * m) * v2KE = 6.67J
carl123
A sheet of metal in the shape of a triangle massing 10 kg per square meter is to be spun at an angular velocity of 4 radians per second about some axis perpendicular to the plane of the sheet. The triangle is a right triangle with both short sides of length 1 meter.

(a) The axis of rotation is the line through the right angle of the triangle and perpendicular to the plane of the sheet. What is the resulting kinetic energy?

(b) The axis of rotation is instead through the centroid of the triangle, or equivalently, through the center of mass of the sheet. That center of mass is two thirds of the way from any vertex to the midpoint of the side opposite it. Set up, but do not evaluate, a double integral which if evaluated would give the kinetic energy of the spinning plate. (The formula for kinetic energy is (1/2)mv2 where m denotes mass and v denotes regular speed, which is not the same thing as angular velocity.)

My solution so far

a) Moment of inertia

I = 1/2mrw2 = 1/2 * 10 * 0.5 * 4 = 40kgm2

w2 = v2/r
v2 = wr
v2 = 4*0.5
v = sqrt 2

KE = 1/2 * (2/3 * m) * v2
KE = 1/2 * 2/3 * 10 * (sqrt 2)2
KE = 6.67J

How do I go about part b?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not entirely sure you're setting up part (a) correctly. You need to compute the moment of inertia
$$I=\int r^2 \, dm.$$
Once you have that, then $KE=I \omega^2 / 2$. Now, $dm=\sigma \, dA$, where $\sigma$ is your surface mass density, and $dA$ is a surface area element. As the axis of rotation is at the right angle, perpendicular to the triangle, we could imagine the triangle situation with the two short sides on the $x$ and $y$ axes. The equation for the third side would be, since this is a $45^{\circ}-45^{\circ}-90^{\circ}$ triangle, $y=-x+1$. We also have that $r^2=x^2+y^2$ all over the face of the triangle. Hence,
$$\int r^2 \, dm =\int_0^1 \int_{0}^{-x+1} \left(x^2+y^2\right) \sigma \, dy \, dx.$$
Do you see how I constructed this integral? Can you compute it?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Kinetic Energy of a Spinning Triangular Metal Sheet?

What is a double integral?

A double integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the volume under a two-dimensional surface. It involves integrating a function over a specific region in two dimensions.

How do you set up a double integral?

To set up a double integral, you need to determine the limits of integration for both the inner and outer integrals. These limits are determined by the boundaries of the region being integrated over. Then, you need to rewrite the function being integrated in terms of the two variables used in the double integral.

What is the difference between a single and double integral?

A single integral calculates the area under a one-dimensional curve, whereas a double integral calculates the volume under a two-dimensional surface. In other words, a single integral integrates with respect to one variable, while a double integral integrates with respect to two variables.

When should I use a double integral?

A double integral is used when you need to find the volume under a two-dimensional surface. This is often used in physics and engineering applications, such as calculating the mass of a three-dimensional object or finding the center of mass of a two-dimensional plane.

What are some common methods for evaluating a double integral?

There are several methods that can be used to evaluate a double integral, such as using iterated integrals, the Fubini's theorem, and the change of variables method. The method used will depend on the complexity of the function and the region being integrated over.