How Do You Calculate the Initial Number of Gaseous Molecules in a Closed System?

In summary: Assuming the piston is only supported by the molecules, the pressure exerted on the bottom of the piston is equal to the weight of the piston divided by its area. Once you have the pressure, you can use the ideal gas law to find the initial number of molecules. In summary, the problem at hand involves a closed system filled with gaseous molecules A at a temperature of 900ºC and an external pressure of 1 atm. The piston in the system is freely moving without friction and has a mass of 100 g and an area of 10 cm2. The initial state of equilibrium has the piston located 10 cm from the bottom. To solve the problem, one must first determine the pressure exerted by the
tunabeast

Homework Statement

In a closed system shown in the Figure below (http://i18.tinypic.com/7x1r8mo.jpg"), the piston is freely moving without friction and the system is initially filled with gaseous molecules A only. The mass of a piston is 100 g, its area is 10 cm2 and it is 10 cm from the bottom in the initial state of equilibrium. The pressure outside the system is 1 atm; temperature inside the system is 900 ºC.

a) Calculate the initial number of molecules in the system;
b) Write the equation describing the initial rate of decrease in the number of gaseous
molecules if it is known that molecules A stick to the surface of the piston upon
collision with it (molecules do not stick to any other surfaces; the processes when
gaseous molecules react with a hot substrate surface are the basis of the chemical
vapour deposition technology). Obtain numerical value of the initial rate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really struggling with where to start on this. I'v been handed a large physical chemistry book and basically been left to my own devices. I understand the problem relates to molecular theory of gasses but could you please steer me in the right direction.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You can start by determining the pressure exerted by the piston on the confined "Molecules A, 900 C". The external pressure is 1 atm but the piston has mass as well.

I would first start by identifying the key information and variables given in the problem. These include: the closed system with a freely moving piston, the initial state with only gaseous molecules A present, the mass and area of the piston, the distance of the piston from the bottom, the outside pressure, and the inside temperature.

Next, I would use the ideal gas law (PV = nRT) to solve for the initial number of molecules (n) in the system. This equation relates pressure (P), volume (V), number of moles (n), gas constant (R), and temperature (T). In this case, we know the pressure, temperature, and volume (since it is a closed system with the piston initially at a specific position). We can also calculate the volume using the area and distance of the piston from the bottom.

Once we have the initial number of molecules, we can use the information given about the sticking of molecules A to the surface of the piston to write an equation for the rate of decrease in the number of molecules. This would involve taking into account the number of collisions between the molecules and the piston, as well as the probability of the molecules sticking upon collision.

From there, we can obtain a numerical value for the initial rate of decrease by plugging in the appropriate values into our equation.

It may also be helpful to research more about chemical vapor deposition technology to gain a better understanding of the process and how it relates to the problem at hand.

Overall, the key to solving this physical chemistry problem would be to identify and utilize the relevant equations and principles, and to carefully consider the given information and variables in order to find a solution.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Initial Number of Gaseous Molecules in a Closed System?

1. What is physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry is a branch of chemistry that deals with the study of the physical properties and behavior of matter at a molecular and atomic level. It combines principles of physics and chemistry to understand the properties and interactions of molecules and atoms.

2. What are some common applications of physical chemistry?

Physical chemistry has a wide range of applications, including material science, drug discovery, environmental chemistry, and nanotechnology. It is also used in fields such as biochemistry, geology, and atmospheric chemistry.

3. How is physical chemistry different from other branches of chemistry?

Physical chemistry differs from other branches of chemistry in that it focuses on the physical properties and behavior of matter rather than the chemical reactions and structures of substances. It also uses mathematical and theoretical models to understand and predict the behavior of molecules and atoms.

4. What are some common techniques used in physical chemistry?

Some common techniques used in physical chemistry include spectroscopy, chromatography, electrochemistry, and computational modeling. These techniques allow scientists to analyze and manipulate the physical properties of matter at a molecular level.

5. What are some challenges commonly encountered in physical chemistry problems?

Physical chemistry problems can be challenging due to the complex nature of molecular and atomic interactions. Additionally, the use of mathematical and theoretical models can also present difficulties, as they require a strong understanding of both chemistry and physics. Proper experimental design and data analysis are also crucial in overcoming challenges in physical chemistry problems.