How Do You Calculate the Force Needed to Turn a Pulley System?

In summary, the person is asking how to count the amount of force needed to turn a pulley and find the work done in one rotation. They have thought of a solution but do not know if it is correct. If we assume both pulleys have the same radius, the person would have to lift the masses by a distance 2-pi-r in one rotation in order to achieve the same energy as the system.
rogerfreak
hie everybody, this is my first post on this interesting site... :biggrin:
i am not sure how do i count the amount of force needed to turn such a pulley from the spindle attached to the dowel through the spindle. the pulleys are fixed to the dowel and are not movable. they just turn as the rope binds them together.
the groove of the spindle is layed with a layer of elastic band so that the thin rope doesn't slip of the spindle when span. The front part of both the dowels are each lifting a different amount of weight.
how do i count amount of force needed to spin from the spindle? what is the theory behind this? an illustration is attached to this thread. thanks a million... :smile:

Attachments

• pulleyillustration.gif
    pulleyillustration.gif
    4.7 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org
One way to tackle this problem is energy conservation. I assume this is a homework problem?

energy conversation? i guess is that hooke's law right?
but i am only a high school student and i haven't learn this yet. can u explain and show to me a little more please?
this is not my homework. i asked this because i did an artefact which is similar to what i had drawn in the diagram and would like to know how much work done i have to apply to turn the spindles with 2 loads and find it interesting as well. :-p

I have thought of a solution. But i don"t know whether this is correct or not. But u can try and work out on this.

If we assume both the pulleys have same radius (r) one roll of each pulley must lift the masses by a distance 2-pi-r. so the energy stored in the system is (m1+m2)g.2-pi-r for one rotation. If the distance of the handle of rotation of the spindle is R and the force required for rotation is F, the the torque required is F.R and the work done to rotate a full rotation is F.R. 2-pi. It follows that ,
F.R. 2-pi = (m1+m2)g. 2-pi-r
or, F.R = (m1+m2)gr
So, F = (m1+m2)gr/R
Now put the values and see the results if it tallies.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Force Needed to Turn a Pulley System?

1. How do 2 pulleys spin 2 loads at the same time?

The 2 pulleys are connected in a series and rotate in opposite directions. This allows for the transfer of force and movement from one pulley to the other, resulting in both loads spinning simultaneously.

2. What is the purpose of using 2 pulleys for spinning 2 loads?

Using 2 pulleys allows for the distribution of weight and reduces the strain on the system. It also allows for more efficient and controlled movement of the loads.

3. What factors affect the speed and efficiency of the 2 pulleys spinning 2 loads?

The size and weight of the loads, the diameter of the pulleys, and the tension of the rope or belt connecting the pulleys all play a role in the speed and efficiency of the system.

4. Can the direction of the 2 loads be changed with 2 spinning pulleys?

Yes, by changing the direction of rotation of one of the pulleys, the direction of the loads can be reversed. This can be achieved by using a reversible motor or manually changing the direction of the pulley.

5. Are there any safety concerns when using 2 pulleys spinning 2 loads?

Yes, it is important to ensure that the loads are properly secured and that the pulleys and ropes/belts are in good condition. It is also important to follow proper safety protocols and wear protective gear when operating the system.