How Do You Calculate the Force Exerted on a Rocket at Takeoff?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to calculate the force exerted on a rocket at takeoff, given the rate of mass expulsion and its velocity. It is determined that the change in momentum over a time interval is equal to the rate of change of momentum, which can be calculated using the equation F=dM/dt*v.
Senjai

Homework Statement

Calculate the force exerted on a rocket, given that the propelling gases are expelled at a rate of 1000 kg/s with a speed of 60,000 m/s (at takeoff)

Homework Equations

[tex]p=mv[/tex]
[tex]F\Delta{t} = \Delta{p}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

This is probably the first question I am posting where i don't reall know how to start. I am given a ratio of 1000 kg/s which represents no unit that i know of. Momentum is kg x m/s. I don't know what the initial velocity is given for. Presuming for the force at the exact time of takeoff..

I'd appreciate a couple hints..

Thanks,
Senjai

Physics news on Phys.org
In regards to your first equation, can you convince yourself that the change in momentum is equal to the change in mass if the velocity this mass is being expelled at is constant?That is, [tex]\Delta p = \Delta mv[/tex]?

Now if you can convince yourself that is true, if you divide both sides by [tex]\Delta t[/tex], what result do you have?

I can't, i don't have a Delta t, yes the velocity the mass is being expelled from the rocket is constant, but wouldn't mass be inversely proportional to velocity in this case? so momentum wouldn't change? Uh.. i think i just said it myself.. are you treating 1000 kg as the mass?

*bump*

1000 kg/s is, as the unit suggests, the rate at which mass is being expelled (with time). hence, kilograms PER second. In other words, it is the mass flow rate.

Δm/Δt = 1000 kg/s = const.​

Which means that EACH second, a mass of Δm = 1000 kg is expelled at speed v = 60 000 m/s, thus carrying away with it an amount of momentum equal to Δm*v.

Conservation of momentum therefore dictates that EACH second, the rocket gains the same amount of momentum Δm*v in the opposite direction.

So now you know the change in momentum over a time interval of Δt = 1s. This means that you know the rate of change of momentum (= force).

F=dMV/dt=dM/dt*v .You have the information you need.

You beat me to it cepheid

Thanks bro... Much Appreciated.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Force Exerted on a Rocket at Takeoff?

1. What is momentum?

Momentum is a measure of the motion of an object. It is the product of an object's mass and its velocity.

2. How is momentum related to force?

According to Newton's second law of motion, force is equal to the change in an object's momentum over time. This means that the greater the force exerted on an object, the more its momentum will change.

3. How is momentum important in rocket propulsion?

Momentum is crucial in rocket propulsion because it determines the amount of force needed to accelerate a rocket. By increasing the momentum of the rocket, we can achieve greater speeds and ultimately reach escape velocity.

4. What factors affect momentum in a rocket?

The two main factors that affect momentum in a rocket are the mass of the rocket and the velocity at which it is traveling. To increase the momentum of a rocket, we can either increase its mass or its velocity.

5. How does momentum change during a rocket launch?

During a rocket launch, the momentum of the rocket increases as the engines provide a force to accelerate it. As the rocket continues to burn fuel and eject it out of the nozzle, the momentum of the rocket will continue to increase until it reaches its desired speed.