How Do You Calculate the Energy of Particles Using De Broglie's Equation?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy in eV for an electron and a neutron with a wavelength of 1 fm. The method of solving for the electron's energy is given, and the correct answer is found to be 1.24 GeV. However, when the same method is applied to the neutron, the answer does not match the expected value of 616 MeV. It is then explained that when talking about a particle's energy, it refers to its kinetic energy rather than total energy. After subtracting the rest energy from the total energy, the correct answer of 616 MeV is obtained.
Von Neumann
Problem:

a. Calculate the energy in eV of an electron with a wavelength of 1 fm.

b. Make the same calculation for a neutron.

Solution (so far):

a. λ=h/p=(hc)/(pc)=(1240 MeV fm)/(pc)=1fm

so, pc=1240 MeV

E=√[(pc)^2+E_0^2]

=√[(1240 MeV)^2+(.511MeV)^2]

∴E=1.24 GeV

This is the same answer as the back of my book, so I'm assuming this is the correct method of solution. However, I do the same thing for the neutron and my answer does not agree.

b. E=√[(1240 MeV)^2+(940 MeV)^2]

∴E=1560 Mev

My book says the correct answer is 616 MeV.

I don't see how an energy like that is even possible. Solving the following for pc,

E^2=(pc)^2+E_0^2

pc=√[E^2-E_0^2]

When you plug in the "correct" answer of E=616 MeV you get,

pc=√[(616 MeV)^2-(940 MeV)^2]

You certainly cannot take a square root of a negative number and get a meaningful answer. Any suggestions?

Physics news on Phys.org
Fact: when we talk of a particle with x eV of energy we are talking about its KINETIC energy, not its total energy.

So - compute the neutron's total energy E, subtract rest energy E_0, which gets you the K.E. , and you get what?
(Hint: the advertised answer).

Rude man,

You will always catch my stupid mistakes, and for that I thank you.

It hadn't occurred to me that the kinetic energy is what was being asked for.

Von Neumann said:
Rude man,

You will always catch my stupid mistakes, and for that I thank you.

It hadn't occurred to me that the kinetic energy is what was being asked for.

Don't worry about it, it's just the convention!

Upon further research, I have found that the correct calculation for the energy of a neutron using De Broglie's equation is:

E=√[(pc)^2+(mnc^2)^2]

Where mn is the rest mass of the neutron (939.565 MeV/c^2).

Substituting the values into the equation:

E=√[(1240 MeV)^2+(939.565 MeV)^2]

E=√[(1537600 MeV^2)+(883876.522225 MeV^2)]

E=√[2421476.522225 MeV^2]

E=1556.5 MeV

This is closer to the answer given in the book (1560 MeV). The slight difference may be due to rounding errors or the use of different values for the rest mass of the neutron.

In conclusion, the correct method for calculating the energy of a particle using De Broglie's equation is to use the rest mass of the particle in addition to its momentum. It is also important to use consistent units (MeV) throughout the calculation.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Energy of Particles Using De Broglie's Equation?

1. What is De Broglie Wave Energy?

De Broglie Wave Energy, also known as matter wave energy, is the energy associated with the wave-like behavior of particles, such as electrons, in quantum mechanics. It is described by the De Broglie wavelength, which is the wavelength of the particle's wave function.

2. Who discovered De Broglie Wave Energy?

De Broglie Wave Energy was first proposed by Louis de Broglie in 1923, a French physicist and Nobel laureate. He suggested that all particles, including matter particles, have both wave-like and particle-like properties.

3. How is De Broglie Wave Energy related to the Dual Nature of Matter?

The Dual Nature of Matter refers to the concept that matter exhibits both wave-like and particle-like properties. De Broglie Wave Energy is directly related to this concept, as it describes the wave-like behavior of particles and their associated energy.

4. What is the formula for calculating De Broglie Wave Energy?

The formula for De Broglie Wave Energy is E = hν, where E is the energy, h is Planck's constant, and ν is the frequency of the particle's wave function. This formula is derived from the De Broglie wavelength formula, λ = h/mv, where λ is the wavelength, m is the mass of the particle, and v is its velocity.

5. What are some real-world applications of De Broglie Wave Energy?

De Broglie Wave Energy has several applications in modern technology, such as electron microscopy, scanning tunneling microscopy, and electron diffraction. It also plays a crucial role in understanding the behavior of particles in quantum mechanics and has implications in fields such as chemistry, materials science, and engineering.