How Do You Calculate the Electric Potential Below a Charged Wire?

In summary, the conversation discusses how to find the potential 10.9 m below a long aluminum wire that is part of an overhead electric transmission line. The problem gives the radius of the wire, the charge per length, and the potential at a particular moment. The conversation also mentions that the electric field is purely radial and that the distance is taken to the center axis of the transmission line. The conversation provides guidance on how to approach the problem and reminds the student of the relevant concepts, such as the relationship between potential and electric field.
kevinf

Homework Statement

One conductor of an overhead electric transmission line is a long aluminum wire 2.40 cm in radius. Suppose that at a particular moment it carries charge per length 1.40 µC/m and is at potential 350 kV. Find the potential 10.9 m below the wire. Ignore the other conductors of the transmission line and assume the electric field is everywhere purely radial.

Homework Equations

i think for this problem you would use the integral of dq/r right?

The Attempt at a Solution

i am not sure how to do this problem. it tells me that it is 10.9 m below the line but it doesn't say where under the wire. would i some how use the 350 kV and get the location under the wire? also i am not sure how the radius of the wire comes in the equation. the ones that i have been doing are rods that have no radius so i am not really sure how to do this problem

Physics news on Phys.org
Does your textbook or course notes discuss the electric field of a line charge? That would be relevant here.

yes but the example that they gave is much simpler and it is just a rod with no radius

Okay, good.

The same expression for electric field will be true here, as long as:
  • The distance is taken to the center axis of the transmission line
  • The distance is larger than the radius of the transmission line
(Inside the transmission line, E=0 as for any conductor)

oh sorry this is asking for electrical potential though

Potential and electric field are related via doing an integral.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Electric Potential Below a Charged Wire?

1. What is electric potential?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge at a specific point in an electric field. It is also known as voltage.

2. How is electric potential calculated?

Electric potential is calculated by dividing the work done to move a charge from one point to another by the amount of charge moved. The unit of electric potential is volts (V).

3. What is the difference between electric potential and electric potential energy?

Electric potential is a measure of the potential energy per unit charge, whereas electric potential energy is the total potential energy of a charge at a specific point in an electric field.

4. How is electric potential related to electric field?

Electric potential is directly related to electric field. The electric field is the gradient of electric potential, meaning that it is the rate of change of electric potential with respect to distance.

5. What are some real-world applications of electric potential?

Electric potential is used in many everyday devices, such as batteries, circuits, and power outlets. It is also used in medical equipment, such as electrocardiograms and pacemakers, and in industrial applications, such as electric motors and generators.