How Do You Calculate the Distance to a Mountain Using Trigonometry?

In summary, the surveyor is trying to determine the height of a mountain by establishing a base line of 1km and measuring the angle to the summit from both ends of the base line, which is 88 degrees on each end. This forms an isosceles triangle and using the law of sines, the surveyor can calculate the height of the mountain.
ataglance05
A surveyor is trying to determine the height of a mountain. First, he msut determine how far away it is. He establishes a base line of 1km and measures the angle to the summit from both ends of the base line. The angle on the right side is 88degrees and the angle on the left end is 88degrees. (Mountain is centered on the base line.)

How far away is the mountain? (what is the perpendicular distance from the base line to the mountain?

is this a trick question or is it just simply 1000meters?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
You want the Y value of the triangle if you think of it on a unit circle in quadrant 1. You are 1000meters away call it "x". It is asking you how tall the mountain is vertically not how far away it is horizontally.

The surveyor laid the baseline at some distance x from the mountain. Since the triangle formed is isosceles, the perpendicular from the apex (x) bisects the side. So x = 500 tan 88.
However, this is the distance to the mountain summit, not the ground distance from the base line to the mountain. So this may not be correct...
http://answerboard.cramster.com/Answer-Board/Image/2007652157276331667744716200003866.jpg

so is this now what i must solve?? is 88 degrees in the right area? is that even the angle?:[

finalproblemset7.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey ataglance05. I think I read the problem wrong, I thought that the x distance was 1000m and there was only one triangle to be drawn. My mistake, however I think you should be able to solve the problem using the law of sines.

[tex] \frac {a} {sin(A)} = \frac {b} {sin(B)} = \frac {c} {sin(C)} [/tex]

Edit: Your first link shows a correct diagram.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Distance to a Mountain Using Trigonometry?

1. What is the formula for finding the area of a triangle?

The formula for finding the area of a triangle is A = 1/2 * base * height, where A represents the area, the base is the length of one side of the triangle, and the height is the perpendicular distance from the base to the opposite vertex.

2. How do I find the missing angle in a triangle?

To find the missing angle in a triangle, you can use the fact that the sum of the angles in a triangle is always 180 degrees. So, if you know the measurements of two angles, you can subtract their sum from 180 to find the missing angle.

3. What is the Pythagorean Theorem and how is it used in triangle math?

The Pythagorean Theorem states that in a right triangle, the square of the length of the hypotenuse (the side opposite the right angle) is equal to the sum of the squares of the lengths of the other two sides. This theorem is commonly used to find missing side lengths in right triangles.

4. How do I determine if a triangle is a right triangle?

A triangle is a right triangle if it has one angle that measures 90 degrees. You can also determine if a triangle is a right triangle by using the Pythagorean Theorem. If the sum of the squares of the lengths of the two shorter sides is equal to the square of the length of the longest side, then the triangle is a right triangle.

5. What are the different types of triangles and how are they classified?

There are three main types of triangles: equilateral, isosceles, and scalene. An equilateral triangle has three equal sides and three equal angles. An isosceles triangle has two equal sides and two equal angles. A scalene triangle has no equal sides or angles. Triangles can also be classified as acute (all angles less than 90 degrees), obtuse (one angle greater than 90 degrees), or right (one angle measuring exactly 90 degrees).