How Do You Calculate the Displacement in Thompson's Cathode Ray Tube Experiment?

In summary, the Homework statement states that two points are observed and the distance between the two points is given. The problem is solved by finding the distance between the two points and the x and y velocity components at the "launch" point.
David112234

Homework Statement

plates.jpg

What is the distance Δy between the two points that you observe? Assume that the plates have length d, and use e and m for the charge and the mass of the electrons, respectively.
Express your answer in terms of e, m, d, v0, L, and E0.

Homework Equations

kinematics equations
F=qE=ma

The Attempt at a Solution

Split the problem into 2 sections, the first being with acceleration due to the electric field,
t1 = when particle lease electric field
t2 = when particle hits screen
so at t1 a distance d

d = v0t
Δy1 = ½at2

t values are unknown so I eliminate t
t=d/v0
and
qE0=ma
q=e
(eE0)/m = a

Δy1 = ½((eE0)/m) (d/v0)2

now for the x and y components of velocity at this point
using the equation
v=v0+at

vy = 0 + ((eE0)/m)(d/v0
vx has not changed so = v0

Now is have the height at d and both components of velocity, I can use kinematics to find the particles motion from d to L using these values (at d) as the initial points.

Δy2 = Δy1 + vy(t)

this t value will be

L= v0 t
t= L/v0

plugging it all in

= ½((eE0)/m) (d/v0)2 +
(eE0/m)d/v0*L/v0

This is not the correct answer for Δy2
once I know Δy2 I can find Δy = Δy2 + Δy1
But I can not find my mistake in finding Δy2

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
David112234 said:
Δy1 = ½at2

Δy1 = ½((eE0)/m) d/v0

Did you forget to square the time?

Δy2 = Δy1 + vy(t)
Why did you include Δy1 as part of Δy2?

TSny said:
Did you forget to square the time?

While typing up my question here I did, but I did not in my work and the answer I tried entering.

TSny said:
Δy2 = Δy1 + vy(t)
Why did you include Δy1 as part of Δy2?

I'm not sure what you mean, I wrote Δy2 as a function of Δy2 because of the kinematics equation x=x0 + v(t) when a=0 and Δy1 and Δy2 represent heights.

In your diagram, the distance Δy2 does not include the distance Δy1.

But your equation Δy2 = Δy1 + vy(t) contains Δy1 on the right hand side.

Likes David112234
TSny said:
In your diagram, the distance Δy2 does not include the distance Δy1.

But your equation Δy2 = Δy1 + vy(t) contains Δy1 on the right hand side.

I still do not see your point, Is that kinematic equation not applicable? Why?
Lets consider this situation. I am in a car, on the x-axis at x=5. I go east at 1 mile/hour. To find the position after 3 hours I would use that equation.
x(t) = 1(t) + 5
x(3) = 1(3) + 5 = 8

I see no difference between that situation and this particle, at d its initial position is Δy1 and it is moving up at a rate of the velocity v. After a certain amount of time t it will be at Δy2.

David112234 said:
I still do not see your point, Is that kinematic equation not applicable? Why?
@TSny is making the observation that your use of variables has strayed from the definitions in the figure. In the figure (and the problem statement) the total displacement is given by ##Δy = Δy_1 + Δy_2##. You have essentially redefined ##Δy_2## to be the total displacement.

Likes David112234
Ah now I see what you mean, Δy2 is not measured with re
respect to the zero line (whereΔy_1 was), my equation than should be
##Δy = ##Δy_1 +v(t)

So how would I find Δy_2 before finding ΔY?

David112234 said:
So how would I find Δy_2 before finding ΔY?
Consider the "launch" conditions from the Δy1 location and use geometry (and similar triangles in particular).

You should have both the x and y velocities of the electron at the Δy1 location.

Likes David112234
gneill said:
Consider the "launch" conditions from the Δy1 location and use geometry (and similar triangles in particular).

You should have both the x and y velocities of the electron at the Δy1 location.
since
Δy = Δy1 + Δy2
and
Δy= Δy1 + v(t)
Δy1+Δy2 = Δy1 + v(t)

Is that the correct approach?

David112234 said:
since
Δy = Δy1 + Δy2
and
Δy= Δy1 + v(t)
Δy1+Δy2 = Δy1 + v(t)

The velocity is 2D, that is, it has both x and y components. So unless the v in your equations is a vector, the equations are not correct.

Start by finding the x an y components of the velocity at the "launch" point.

EDIT: Perhaps I spoke too soon. If your v is the y-velocity component and t is the transit time from the launch point to the impact point, then your equations would work. You'll have to show how you get both v and t.

Likes David112234
gneill said:
The velocity is 2D, that is, it has both x and y components. So unless the v in your equations is a vector, the equations are not correct.

Start by finding the x an y components of the velocity at the "launch" point.

I have found those, time is written in terms of x velocity.

David112234 said:
since
Δy = Δy1 + Δy2
and
Δy= Δy1 + v(t)
Δy1+Δy2 = Δy1 + v(t)

This would be correct if you replace the v(t) expression by the expression you wrote in your first post vy(t). I assume that by vy(t) you meant vy⋅t.

Likes David112234
TSny said:
This would be correct if you replace the v(t) expression by the expression you wrote in your first post vy(t). I assume that by vy(t) you meant vy⋅t.
Yes, because the only effect the x velocity is making it hit the plate before it can reach any higher.

David112234 said:
Yes, because the only effect the x velocity is making it hit the plate before it can reach any higher.
Yes. In your first post you have the correct expressions for vy and t to use for Δy2 = vy⋅t.

Likes David112234

Related to How Do You Calculate the Displacement in Thompson's Cathode Ray Tube Experiment?

What is Thompson's cathode experiment?

Thompson's cathode experiment was a scientific experiment conducted by English physicist J.J. Thompson in 1897. It was designed to study the properties of cathode rays, which are streams of electrons emitted from the negative electrode (cathode) of a vacuum tube.

What was the purpose of Thompson's cathode experiment?

The purpose of Thompson's cathode experiment was to determine the nature of cathode rays and to prove the existence of electrons. At the time, there were competing theories about the nature of these rays, and Thompson's experiment was able to provide evidence in support of the electron model.

What was the setup of Thompson's cathode experiment?

The experiment involved passing an electric current through a vacuum tube containing a cathode and an anode. Thompson then applied a high voltage across the electrodes, causing a fluorescent glow to appear on the opposite end of the tube. He also placed a magnet near the tube to observe any deflection of the cathode rays.

What were the key findings of Thompson's cathode experiment?

Thompson's experiment showed that cathode rays were negatively charged particles, which he named electrons. He also observed that the particles were deflected by a magnetic field, indicating that they had a mass. This provided strong evidence for the existence of the electron, which was a groundbreaking discovery at the time.

How did Thompson's cathode experiment impact the scientific community?

Thompson's cathode experiment revolutionized the understanding of atomic structure and laid the foundation for modern atomic theory. It also paved the way for further research on electrons and their role in electricity and chemistry. Thompson's discovery of the electron earned him the 1906 Nobel Prize in Physics and solidified his place as a pioneer in the field of atomic physics.