How Do You Calculate the Density Ratio of the Moon to the Earth?

In summary, the average density ratio of the moon to the Earth is 43.34 moons per every 1 Earth, calculated using Kepler's Laws and Newton's Law of Gravity.
envscigrl
problem:

The mass of the Earth is 5.98E+24 kg and its radius is 6370 km. The radius of the moon is 1738 km. The acceleration due to gravity at the surface of the moon is 1.62 m/s2. What is the ratio of the average density of the moon to that of the earth? (no units)
I am very confused as to how I find the density of planets given the equations and information I have. We are studying kepler's Laws and Newtons Law of Gravity. I feel like maybe I am missing some info or something.

Thanks for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
density will be denoted p
[tex]p= \frac{m}{v}[/tex]
[tex]m_2a = \frac{G m_1 m_2}{r^2}[/tex]

[tex]1.62 = \frac{G m_1}{(1738*10^3 m)^2}[/tex]
[tex] m_{moon} = m_1, \ \frac{(1.62)(1738*10^3)^2}{G} = m_1 = 7.33 * 10^{22} kg [/tex]
[tex]p_{earth} = \frac{(5.98 *10^{24})}{(\frac{4}{3}pi (6370)^2)} = 3.52*10^{16} kg/km [/tex]
[tex]p_{moon} = 5.79*10^{13} kg/km [/tex]
[tex] p_{earth} : p_{moon} = 43.34 \ p_{moons} \ to \ every \ 1 \ p_{earth} [/tex]

Last edited:

To find the density of a planet, you first need to know its mass and volume. The mass of the Earth is given as 5.98E+24 kg and the radius is 6370 km. Using the formula for volume of a sphere (V=4/3πr^3), we can calculate the volume of the Earth to be approximately 1.08E+21 km^3.

Similarly, the mass of the moon is not given but we can use the acceleration due to gravity at its surface (1.62 m/s^2) to calculate its mass using Newton's Law of Gravity (F=ma). The mass of the moon is approximately 7.35E+22 kg.

Using the same formula for volume, we can calculate the volume of the moon to be approximately 2.2E+10 km^3.

Now, to find the density of each planet, we can use the formula density=mass/volume. For the Earth, the density would be 5.98E+24 kg/1.08E+21 km^3, which equals to approximately 5.52 g/cm^3.

For the moon, the density would be 7.35E+22 kg/2.2E+10 km^3, which equals to approximately 3.34 g/cm^3.

To find the ratio of the average density of the moon to that of the Earth, we divide the density of the moon by the density of the Earth. This gives us a ratio of approximately 0.61, meaning that the moon has about 61% of the average density of the Earth.

I hope this helps clarify the process of finding the density of planets using the given information. Keep in mind that the equations and laws you mentioned are used to calculate different aspects of planetary motion, but they can also be used to calculate other properties of planets, such as density.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Density Ratio of the Moon to the Earth?

1. What is the density of the moon compared to earth?

The density of the moon is about 3.34 grams per cubic centimeter, which is significantly lower than the average density of the Earth, which is 5.51 grams per cubic centimeter.

2. Why is the density of the moon lower than earth?

The lower density of the moon can be attributed to its composition. The moon is primarily made of rocks and dust, while the Earth has a denser core made of iron and nickel.

3. How is the density of the moon and earth calculated?

The density of an object is calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. The mass of the moon and Earth can be measured using their gravitational forces, and their volume can be determined by their size and shape.

4. Does the density of the moon and earth affect their gravitational pull?

Yes, the density of an object can affect its gravitational pull. Objects with higher density have a stronger gravitational pull compared to objects with lower density. This is why the Earth's gravity is stronger than the moon's.

5. How does the density of the moon and earth impact their geological processes?

The density of an object can affect its geological processes, such as plate tectonics and volcanic activity. The lower density of the moon means it has less internal heat, resulting in less geological activity compared to Earth. However, the moon's density also allows for the formation of impact craters, which can reveal information about the moon's history.