How Do You Calculate the Components of Vector C?

• Thread starter princessfrost
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Component
In summary, the problem involves finding the x and y components of a third vector C that is perpendicular to vector A and has a scalar product of 16 with vector B. The solution can be found by setting up equations using the dot product of A and C, and A and B, and solving for x and y.
princessfrost
You are given vectors A= 4.7i - 7.0j and B= - 3.2i+ 6.9j . A third vector C lies in the xy-plane. Vector C is perpendicular to vector A and the scalar product of vector C with vector B is 16.0.

What is the x-component of vector C?

What is the y-component of vector C?

I'm not sure wither to use a dot product to solve this or use the cross product. I haven't yet learned how to use the cross product of two vectors so I don't think its that. How would i go about solving this problem? I thought about setting vector B equal to 16 but that didn't work out to well. Can someone please help me? Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well you know that the dot product of a and c has to equal zero and the dot product of a and b has to equal 16. So set up your equations and solve for x and y.

To solve this problem, we can use the dot product to find the x and y components of vector C. The dot product of two perpendicular vectors is equal to 0, so we can set the dot product of vector C and A equal to 0 and solve for the components of C.

The dot product of two vectors is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components and then adding them together. So for vector C and A, we have:

CxA = 0
(Cx * 4.7) + (Cy * (-7.0)) = 0

Since we know that the scalar product of vector C with vector B is 16.0, we can also set the dot product of C and B equal to 16.0:

CxB = 16.0
(Cx * (-3.2)) + (Cy * 6.9) = 16.0

We now have a system of two equations with two unknowns (Cx and Cy). We can solve this system using algebraic methods, such as substitution or elimination, to find the x and y components of vector C.

Alternatively, we can also use the geometric interpretation of the dot product to solve this problem. The dot product of two vectors is equal to the magnitude of one vector multiplied by the magnitude of the projection of the other vector onto the first vector. In this case, we know that the dot product of C and B is 16.0, so the magnitude of the projection of B onto C must be 16.0.

Using this information, we can draw a diagram and use trigonometry to find the x and y components of vector C. The x component can be found by taking the cosine of the angle between vector C and B, and multiplying it by the magnitude of B (which is 6.9). Similarly, the y component can be found by taking the sine of the angle and multiplying it by the magnitude of B.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve this problem. If you are still having trouble, I suggest seeking additional resources or asking your teacher for clarification. It's important to fully understand the concepts before moving on to more complex problems. Good luck!

Related to How Do You Calculate the Components of Vector C?

1. What is a component problem?

A component problem refers to an issue or malfunction with a particular part or component of a larger system or device. This can range from a physical defect to a software bug that affects the performance of the component.

2. How can I identify a component problem?

Identifying a component problem can involve troubleshooting and testing the affected component to determine the root cause of the issue. This may require technical knowledge and tools, or seeking assistance from a professional.

3. What should I do if I encounter a component problem?

If you encounter a component problem, it is important to address it as soon as possible to prevent further damage or issues with the system. You can try troubleshooting on your own or seeking help from the manufacturer or a professional technician.

4. Can a component problem be fixed?

In most cases, a component problem can be fixed. However, the extent of the fix will depend on the severity and nature of the issue. Some problems may require a simple repair, while others may require replacement of the component.

5. How can I prevent component problems in the future?

To prevent component problems in the future, it is important to properly maintain and care for the components in your system. This may involve regular cleaning, updates, and following manufacturer's guidelines for usage and storage. It is also important to address any issues or malfunctions as soon as they arise to prevent further damage.