How Do You Calculate the Change in Focal Length for a Human Eye Lens?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving the focal length of a lens in a human eye. The lens has a far focal length of 0.0405 m and an object K is located 1.72 m away. The question is how much the focal length should change to focus on object K and what the magnification for object K is. The conversation provides the correct formula for solving the problem and explains that the change in focal length is equal to 0.001 m.
Ryo124

Homework Statement

Suppose the lens in a human eye has far focal length equal to f0 = .0405 m, for distant objects to be in focus.

(a) An object K is 1.72 m from the lens. How much should the focal length change to focus on the object K?

(b) What is the magnification ( = image size divided by object size) for the object K?

Homework Equations

1/do + 1/di = 1/f

The Attempt at a Solution

I figured the image distance (di) to be .0415 m, but I'm unsure of how much the focal length should change to focus on the object K.

I tried subtracting the object distance from the focal length (vice versa), doesn't work.
I tried subtracting the image distance from the focal length (vice versa), didn't work.
I tried subtracting the object distance from the image distance (vice versa), incorrect.

Also, di/do is not giving me the correct magnification, it is not .241.

Someone help please. It looks like I'm going to miss my deadline but I still need to know how to solve this type of problem for the test.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The simple lens formula is correct 1/object + 1/image = 1/f
With the image at infinity object=infinity so 1/image = 1/f
If we assume that the eye doesn't change size and the lens doesn't move,then image distance remains the same and equals the focal length for the infinite object ie 0.0405m

The we simply put in the new object distance.
1/1.72 + 1/0.0405 = 1/f , giving f = 0.0396
So the change is simply 0.0405-0.0396 = 0.001 ( 0r -0.001, focal length gets less )

Thanks mgb for clearing up my misunderstanding. It makes sense now.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Change in Focal Length for a Human Eye Lens?

1. What is the function of the human eye?

The human eye is responsible for receiving and processing visual information from the surrounding environment. It works with the brain to interpret light and color, allowing us to see images, objects, and movement.

2. How does the human eye focus on objects?

The human eye focuses on objects through the process of accommodation. The muscles within the eye change the shape of the lens, allowing it to bend and focus light onto the retina, which then sends signals to the brain for interpretation.

3. What is the difference between nearsightedness and farsightedness?

Nearsightedness, also known as myopia, occurs when light focuses in front of the retina, resulting in difficulty seeing distant objects. Farsightedness, also known as hyperopia, occurs when light focuses behind the retina, resulting in difficulty seeing objects up close.

4. How does the eye perceive color?

The eye perceives color through the presence of specialized cells called cones within the retina. These cones are sensitive to different wavelengths of light, allowing us to see a range of colors. Additionally, the brain plays a role in color perception by interpreting the signals received from the cones.

5. Can the human eye see in the dark?

The human eye has limited ability to see in the dark, as it requires some level of light to be able to process visual information. However, the eye does have specialized cells called rods that are more sensitive to low levels of light, allowing us to perceive some objects in dim lighting conditions.