How Do You Calculate the Capacitance of a Multi-Layer Spherical Capacitor?

• Thread starter fluidistic
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the homework statement was to calculate the capacitance of a spherical capacitor such that its center and up to R_2 is vacuum. The Attempt at a Solution found that the capacitance is equivalent to two capacitors in series, each with a different dielectric. Assuming my C_2 as my result with a minus sign, I can get C_1 as easily and thus C, which is the total capacitance.
fluidistic
Gold Member

Homework Statement

Calculate the capacitance of a spherical capacitor such that its center and up to [tex]R_2[/tex] is vacuum.
Then from [tex]R_2[/tex] up to [tex]R_3[/tex] there's a dielectric material of constant [tex]\kappa _2[/tex]. Then from [tex]R_3[/tex] up to [tex]R_1[/tex] there's a material of constant [tex]\kappa _1[/tex].

Homework Equations

None given.

The Attempt at a Solution

I've tried many things, but then I realized I was lost since it's a 3 dimensional capacitor, which differs from the 2 dimensional problem I was used to.
Q=C/V. Also, [tex]\varepsilon _1=\kappa _1 \varepsilon _0[/tex]. And it's similar for [tex]\varepsilon _2[/tex].
[tex]V=-\int_a^b \vec E d\vec l=\frac{Q}{C}[/tex].
I'm having a hard time finding [tex]-\int_a^b \vec E d\vec l[/tex].
For the interior material, [tex]V=E(R_3 -R_2)[/tex].

I made an attempt to find E : [tex]kQ\left [ \frac{1}{R_3}-\frac{1}{R_2} \right][/tex]. Where [tex]k=\frac{1}{\varepsilon _0 \kappa _2 4\pi}[/tex].
Hence [tex]C _2=\frac{4\pi \varepsilon _0 \kappa _2 R_3 R_2}{R_2-R_3}[/tex].

I realize that [tex]\frac{1}{C}=\frac{1}{C_1}+\frac{1}{C_2}[/tex] because the capacitor is equivalent to 2 capacitors in series. I'd like to know if my result for [tex]C_2[/tex], the interior capacitor is right.

Physics news on Phys.org
First you need to derive (or look up) the capacitance of a spherical capacitor. The geometry, however, is incomplete. A capacitor, in general, is two conductors in some spatial configuration. Your statement of the problem says nothing about where the conductors are. What are the radii at which you have the conductors in this particular case?

kuruman said:
First you need to derive (or look up) the capacitance of a spherical capacitor. The geometry, however, is incomplete. A capacitor, in general, is two conductors in some spatial configuration. Your statement of the problem says nothing about where the conductors are. What are the radii at which you have the conductors in this particular case?

You're absolutely right, sorry. The conductor plates are at R_1 and R_2.
I've looked in wikipedia, and instead of my [tex]C _2=\frac{4\pi \varepsilon _0 \kappa _2 R_3 R_2}{R_2-R_3}[/tex], I should have got a -sign in front of it... so I almost got it, I don't know where I made a mistake though and I'm willing to see where it is. Although I realize I could have made other errors.

So you know what to do now, right? Two capacitors in series, each with a different dielectric.

kuruman said:
So you know what to do now, right? Two capacitors in series, each with a different dielectric.
Yes sure.

[tex]\frac{1}{C}=\frac{1}{C_1}+\frac{1}{C_2}[/tex].
Assuming my C_2 as my result with a minus sign, I can get C_1 as easily and thus C, which is the total capacitance.
I thank you for your help. (Once again :smile:).

Related to How Do You Calculate the Capacitance of a Multi-Layer Spherical Capacitor?

What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of a system to store an electric charge. It is a measure of the amount of electric charge that can be stored in a system for a given voltage.

How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the amount of electric charge stored in a system by the voltage applied to the system. The formula for capacitance is C = Q/V, where C is capacitance, Q is electric charge, and V is voltage.

What is the unit of capacitance?

The unit of capacitance is the farad (F). One farad is equal to one coulomb per volt.

What factors affect capacitance?

Capacitance is affected by the size and shape of the conductors, the distance between them, and the type of material between them. It is also affected by the voltage applied to the system.

Why is capacitance important in electronics?

Capacitance is important in electronics because it allows for the storage of electric charge, which can be used in a variety of applications, such as energy storage, filtering and smoothing signals, and creating time delays.