How Do You Calculate the Capacitance of a Homemade Capacitor?

• Thread starter csimon1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Capacitance
In summary, the conversation revolves around calculating the capacitance of a homemade capacitor made of two sheets of aluminum foil separated by a sheet of paper. The formula used is C=k e0 A / d, where C is the capacitance, k is the dielectric constant (3.0 for paper), e0 is the permittivity of free space (8.85*e-12), A is the area of the plates (0.2025m2), and d is the distance between the plates (0.30mm). After some initial confusion regarding the units and a minor calculation error, the correct answer of 1.79*e-6 is obtained.
csimon1

Homework Statement

A science-fair radio uses a homemade capacitor made of two 45 45 sheets of aluminum foil separated by a 0.30-mm-thick sheet of paper. Assume dielectric constant of paper is 3.0.

What is its capacitance?

Homework Equations

C=k e0 A / d

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure if this is the wrong formula or if I am supposed to double .45m since there are two plates. Anyways, I came up with this...

(3.0) * (8.85*e-12) * (.45) / .0003

But the answer I came up with is wrong. Can anyone steer me in the right direction?

Physics news on Phys.org
you need the area of the plate in the equation, not the length of the side. 0.45m is the length of the side of the pieces of aluminium foil

boom, what willem said. and next time include units on the 45, because that number means nothing to me

and next time, if you have the answer in front of you and its a simple calculation such as this. divide your answer by the right answer, or vice versa, and you can figure out the factor that you are off by. and that can be very helpful

oh I am sorry, i wrote what i did down wrong. I did do by area -- 45cmx45cm=2025 and that is 20.25 meters. So i multiplied (3.0) * (8.85*e-12) * (20.25m) / .0003 and the answer I got was 1.79*e-6. I know I am messing up a simple calculation somewhere!

csimon1 said:
oh I am sorry, i wrote what i did down wrong. I did do by area -- 45cmx45cm=2025 and that is 20.25 meters. So i multiplied (3.0) * (8.85*e-12) * (20.25m) / .0003 and the answer I got was 1.79*e-6. I know I am messing up a simple calculation somewhere!

UNITS! If you are working in SI, then your area needs to be in m2:

45cm x 45cm is equivalent to 0.45m x 0.45m = 0.2025m2

Now try with that.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Capacitance of a Homemade Capacitor?

1. What is capacitance?

Capacitance is the ability of an object to store electric charge. It is measured in units called farads (F).

2. How is capacitance calculated?

Capacitance is calculated by dividing the amount of electric charge stored (Q) by the potential difference (V) across the object. This can be represented by the equation C=Q/V.

3. What factors affect capacitance?

The factors that affect capacitance include the distance between the object's plates, the surface area of the plates, and the type of material between the plates.

4. How can I find the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor?

To find the capacitance of a parallel-plate capacitor, you can use the equation C=εA/d, where ε is the permittivity of the material between the plates, A is the area of the plates, and d is the distance between the plates.

5. Why is capacitance important in electronics?

Capacitance is important in electronics because it allows for the storage and release of electric charge, which is necessary for many electronic devices to function. It also helps to regulate the flow of electricity and can be used to filter out unwanted signals.