How Do You Calculate the Average Value of a Function Using Integrals?

In summary, the proper method for finding the average of an integral is to use the formula f_ave = 1/(b-a) * Integral f(x) dx ; [a,b]. In the given example, the average value of the function f(x) = 4 - x² over the interval [-2, 2] is 8/3. The mistake of getting an answer of -11/3 may have been due to incorrect integration.
Flatland
what is the proper method for finding the average of an integral? For example, the question I'm trying to answer is this:

"Find the average value of the function f(x) = 4 - x² over the interval [-2, 2]."

Now the answer is suppost to be 8/3. But I keep getting an answer of -11/3 no matter what I do. WTF??

Physics news on Phys.org
f is nonnegative on the interval [-2,2], so how can the average possibly be negative?

Well, what did you do to get -11/3?

The function you are given here is [tex]\geq 0[/tex] in [-2,2]. This makes things quite a lot easier.
By integration you can find out the area under the curve. When you say you'd like to know the average value, it means this: replace the function by a constant one that has the same area under its curve (this time it must be a rectangle).
I hope it's clear now.
Best regards

Cliowa

Flatland said:
what is the proper method for finding the average of an integral? For example, the question I'm trying to answer is this:

"Find the average value of the function f(x) = 4 - x² over the interval [-2, 2]."

Now the answer is suppost to be 8/3. But I keep getting an answer of -11/3 no matter what I do. WTF??

How did you get -11/3? Are you sure you integrated the function correctly?

Greetings Flatland:

For any continuous function, f(x), on the interval [a,b], the average value of f on that interval is given by:

f_ave = 1/(b-a) * Integral f(x) dx ; [a,b]. So, in the present case,

f_ave = 1/(2+2) * Integral (4 - x^2) dx; [-2,2]
= (1/4)(4x - (1/3) x^3) = (x/12)(12 - x^2); [-2,2]
= (1/6)(12-4) - (-1/6)(12-4)
= (1/6)(8+8)
= 8/3

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Rich B.

nvm I figured out what I did wrong thx

Related to How Do You Calculate the Average Value of a Function Using Integrals?

1. How do I know when to use integration?

Integration is used to find the total value of a function over a given interval. It is typically used when the function is changing over time or distance, and you want to find the cumulative value.

2. What are the steps to solving an integral?

The steps to solving an integral include: 1) Simplifying the integrand, 2) Applying integration rules and techniques, 3) Finding the antiderivative, 4) Evaluating the integral at the given limits, and 5) Adding any constant of integration.

3. What if I can't find the antiderivative?

Sometimes, it is not possible to find the antiderivative of a function. In these cases, you can try using numerical integration methods, such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule, to approximate the value of the integral.

4. Can I check my answer to an integral question?

Yes, you can check your answer by taking the derivative of the antiderivative you found. If it is equal to the original function, then your answer is correct. You can also use online integral calculators to verify your answer.

5. How can I improve my skills in solving integrals?

The best way to improve your skills in solving integrals is to practice regularly. Start with basic integration problems and gradually move on to more complex ones. You can also seek help from textbooks, online resources, or a tutor if you need further assistance.