How Do You Calculate the Average Density of a Neutron Star?

In summary, the speaker is trying to find the average density of a neutron star with the same mass as the sun but a smaller radius. They attempted to calculate it by dividing the sun's mass by the volume of the neutron star, but were told that their answer was incorrect. Other factors that could be contributing to the incorrect answer include mismatching units, using the wrong value for the mass of the sun, or a possible typo in the book. The speaker also points out that neutron stars have a higher density due to their small size compared to their mass, which is different from ordinary objects where the more massive ones are usually larger.
ACLerok
Okay, I am told to find the average density of a neutron star with the same mass of the sun but with a radius of only 20km. I figured this would be pretty simple so I just would divide the Sun's mass (found using Google) by the volume of the neutron star which would be (4/3)*pi*r^3 with r being 20000. But it's telling me this is incorrect. Can someone please tell me what's wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
The problem is either in mismatching units or not using the proper value for the mass of the sun.

Make sure that all of your units are kg and m (or whatever they specify). Also check to see if your program--I assume that's what you're using, since something is telling you it's wrong--has a specific mass for the sun that it wants to use.

cookiemonster

ACLerok said:
Okay, I am told to find the average density of a neutron star with the same mass of the sun but with a radius of only 20km. I figured this would be pretty simple so I just would divide the Sun's mass (found using Google) by the volume of the neutron star which would be (4/3)*pi*r^3 with r being 20000. But it's telling me this is incorrect. Can someone please tell me what's wrong?

cookiemonster has said all that needs saying but I didnt hear the beginning of the conversation and just saw the headline and I am curious

what is "it" that tells you your answer is wrong?
maybe the book has a typo and the book is wrong, so let's check the book.

the sun's mass is 2E30 kilogram
the radius you are told to use is 2E4 meters
so if you cube that you get 8E12 cubic meters

if you divide 2E30 by 8E12 and then by 4pi/3, then how can you be wrong?

the first division gives 25E16 kilograms per cubic meter
and then you have to divide by 4pi/3 which is a little over 4
so it should come out somewheres around 6E16
what can go wrong here?
if the book says something different the book must be wrong

neutron stars are fun because the more massive ones are smaller
(with ordinary things like rocks and SUVs the more massive ones are larger)

in standard metric units the unit of density is a kilogram per cubic meter (roughly the density of air around us, not the density of water) and it is easy to forget this and get confused----I am not saying you did but it happens a lot.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Average Density of a Neutron Star?

1. What is the average density of a neutron star?

The average density of a neutron star is approximately 10^17 kg/m^3, making it one of the densest objects in the universe. This means that even though a neutron star may have a mass similar to that of the Sun, it has a radius of only about 10 km.

2. How is the average density of a neutron star calculated?

The average density of a neutron star is calculated by dividing its mass by its volume. The mass of a neutron star is estimated based on observations of its effects on surrounding matter, while its volume is estimated based on its size and composition.

3. What causes the high density of a neutron star?

The high density of a neutron star is primarily caused by the immense gravitational force exerted by its mass. This causes the protons and electrons in the star to combine and form neutrons, resulting in a highly compact and dense object.

4. How does the average density of a neutron star compare to other celestial objects?

The average density of a neutron star is significantly higher than that of other celestial objects, including white dwarfs, black holes, and even the core of the Sun. It is only surpassed by quark stars, which have a theoretical density of 10^18 kg/m^3.

5. Can the average density of a neutron star vary?

Yes, the average density of a neutron star can vary depending on its mass and composition. Higher mass neutron stars tend to have higher densities, and the presence of exotic matter such as strange quarks can also affect the overall density of a neutron star.