How Do You Calculate the Angle in a Spinning Mass Problem?

In summary: In your final equation just set cos\theta = x.I did that but wouldn't you get something like \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1^2 - 4(1.41)(1.41)} }{2(1.41)} Which would simplify to: \frac{1 \pm \sqrt {-6.9524}}{2.82}
Zhalfirin88
Spinning mass

Homework Statement

1) A mass of 7.10 kg is suspended from a 1.21 m long string. It revolves in a horizontal circle as shown in the figure. The tangential speed of the mass is 2.90 m/s. Calculate the angle between the string and the vertical.

Picture 1) http://psblnx03.bd.psu.edu/res/msu/...Force_Motion_Adv/graphics/prob03_pendulum.gif

The Attempt at a Solution

For 1) I have the equation down to:

[tex] \frac{gL}{v^2} - \frac{gL}{v^2}cos^2 \theta - cos \theta = 0 [/tex] How would I put this into the quadratic formula? (L = length of string)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
You should show what you did. For both of them you just need to draw an fbd and find the net force.

Jebus_Chris said:
You should show what you did. For both of them you just need to draw an fbd and find the net force.

I have shown what I did? If I were to show everything that would be a hell of a lot of typing. I've already done FBD, all I need is what has been asked.

Problem 1:

[tex] T_y - mg = 0 [/tex] X-Direction: [tex] T sin \theta = \frac{mv^2}{r} [/tex]

[tex] T cos\theta = mg [/tex] X-Direction: [tex] T sin \theta = \frac{mv^2}{Lsin \theta} [/tex]

[tex] T = \frac{mg}{cos \theta} [/tex] X-Direction: [tex] T = \frac{mv^2}{Lsin^2 \theta} [/tex]

[tex] \frac{mg}{cos \theta} = \frac {mv^2}{Lsin^2 \theta} [/tex]

[tex] mgL sin^2 \theta = mv^2 cos \theta [/tex]

[tex] gL(1-cos^2 \theta) = v^2 cos \theta [/tex] Thus:

[tex]
\frac{gL}{v^2} - \frac{gL}{v^2}cos^2 \theta - cos\theta = 0
[/tex]

Last edited:
I have no idea what you did for (1). What were you x and y equations for force?

Jebus_Chris said:
I have no idea what you did for (1). What were you x and y equations for force?

I edited above for #1. The x-direction is on the right side, y on the left.

Alright, when I did it I had the radius as L >>
In your final equation just set cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = x.

I did that but wouldn't you get something like

[tex] \frac{1 \pm \sqrt{1^2 - 4(1.41)(1.41)} }{2(1.41)} [/tex]

Which would simplify to:

[tex] \frac{1 \pm \sqrt {-6.9524}}{2.82} [/tex]

?

Edit: For reference the equation would be [tex] 1.41x^2 - x + 1.41 [/tex] Edited out 2nd question.

Last edited:
[tex]

\frac{gL}{v^2} - \frac{gL}{v^2}cos^2 \theta - cos\theta = 0

[/tex]
So the quadratic equation would be
[tex]
-1.41x^2 - x + 1.41
[/tex]
You had a positive when it is actually negative.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Angle in a Spinning Mass Problem?

1. What is friction and how does it affect spinning mass?

Friction is a force that opposes motion between two surfaces in contact. In the context of spinning mass, friction can slow down or stop the spinning motion by converting kinetic energy into heat.

2. How does the mass of an object affect friction during spinning?

The mass of an object affects friction by increasing the force of the object's weight, which in turn increases the normal force between the object and the surface it is spinning on. This increased normal force leads to an increase in frictional force.

3. Can friction be beneficial in spinning mass?

Yes, friction can be beneficial in certain situations. For example, in the case of a spinning top, friction between the tip of the top and the surface it is spinning on helps to maintain its stability and prevent it from falling over.

4. How can we reduce friction in spinning mass?

There are several ways to reduce friction in spinning mass, such as using lubricants, decreasing the weight of the object, or using smoother surfaces. Additionally, increasing the speed of the spinning object can also reduce friction.

5. How does friction affect the speed of a spinning object?

Friction can have a significant impact on the speed of a spinning object. As friction converts kinetic energy into heat, it can slow down the spinning motion over time. However, in some cases, friction can also help to maintain a constant speed by providing a stabilizing force against external factors that may try to disrupt the spinning motion.