How Do You Calculate the Amplitude of Ocean Waves?

In summary, the amplitude of each wave is 0.345 meters, which is half of the total displacement of the crest or trough. The boat moves in circular or elliptical motions, so the given distance of 0.690 meters is only half of the total distance traveled by the boat.
sphouxay

Homework Statement

A fisherman notices that his boat is moving up and down periodically, owing to waves on the surface of the water. It takes a time of 3.00 second for the boat to travel from its highest point to its lowest, a total distance of 0.690 meter . The fisherman sees that the wave crests are spaced a horizontal distance of 6.50 meter apart.

What is the amplitude of each wave?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If the maximum displacement is .690 wouldn't that be my amplitude of each wave, just need total understanding on this since, i read in my text its the total displacement of the crest and the total displacements of the trough.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sphouxay, welcome to PF.

Please include units in all of your statements, otherwise they are meaningless.

The amplitude of a wave is indeed its maximum displacement from the equilibrium position in either direction. So, in this context, it is the height of a peak or the depth of a trough above or below the water's surface. Careful though. That is not quite the same as the "0.690" stated in the problem.

Mathematically if a wave is described by A*sin(phase), then A is the amplitude, and the disturbance will oscillate between +A and -A.

so are you saying the amplitude is 0.690/2, which is .345 meters

Yes, that is what I am saying.

Boat doesn't move just up and down, it rather makes circles or ellipses (depending on the water depth, I believe these are circles when the depth is large enough to be treated as infinite). So the total distance is half of the circle, which means amplitude is smaller.

But I doubt question is that tricky.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Wave_motion-i18n-mod.svg

Related to How Do You Calculate the Amplitude of Ocean Waves?

1. What causes ocean waves?

Ocean waves are primarily caused by wind blowing over the surface of the water. Other factors, such as tides, gravitational pull from the moon, and earthquakes can also contribute to the formation of waves.

2. What are the different types of ocean waves?

There are several types of ocean waves, including wind waves, storm waves, tsunami waves, and tidal waves. Wind waves are the most common and are caused by local winds. Storm waves are larger and more powerful, often caused by strong winds or storms. Tsunami waves are caused by underwater disturbances, such as earthquakes. Tidal waves are influenced by the gravitational pull of the moon and sun.

3. How are ocean waves measured?

Ocean waves can be measured in several ways, including height, period, and wavelength. Height is the vertical distance between the crest and trough of a wave, while period is the time it takes for two consecutive wave crests to pass a fixed point. Wavelength is the distance between two consecutive wave crests.

4. What factors affect the size and shape of ocean waves?

The size and shape of ocean waves can be affected by several factors, including wind speed, wind duration, and fetch (the distance over which the wind blows). The shape of the shoreline and the depth of the water can also influence the size and shape of waves.

5. How do ocean waves impact coastal communities?

Ocean waves can have both positive and negative impacts on coastal communities. They provide recreational opportunities, such as surfing and boating, and can also generate renewable energy through wave power technology. However, they can also cause erosion and damage to coastal infrastructure during storms and tsunamis.