How Do You Calculate the Acceleration of a 42kg Ice Block Sliding Down a Slope?

In summary, the question asks for the acceleration of an ice block sliding down a 30 degree incline with negligible friction. The solution involves drawing a free body diagram and labeling the x-axis and y-axis correctly. The net force acting in the x-direction is the weight component in that direction and its magnitude can be calculated by multiplying the mass of the block by 9.8 m/s^2. The acceleration of the block down the incline can then be determined using the equation Fnet = max.
dhymas
Urgent! Acceleration of an ice block given mass

Homework Statement

A 42 kg block of ice slides down a slope of 30 degrees. Assuming friction is negligible, what is the acceleration of the block down the incline?

Homework Equations

Fnet=max
W=mg

The Attempt at a Solution

I have drawn a free body diagram correctly. I have the block on a slope of 30 degrees. I have weight acting downward and Normal Force acting perpendicular to the slope. I just want to make sure that I am doing this right.

Fnet=max
I know I have mass already and I can get weight by multiplying 42 by 9.8 m/s2
My problem is what numbers would I use for Fnet? Just the X component for weight or also the Y component?

Physics news on Phys.org

What you want to be sure to do is label the x-axis as the axis parallel to the incline, and the y-axis as the axis perpendicular to the incline. In this manner, there will be no acceleration along the y-axis because the block does not move in that 'y' direction (it doesn't jump off the plane because the weight component in the 'y' direction is balanced by the normal force in the 'y' direction). So what is the net force acting in the 'x' direction and what is its magnitude?

Related to How Do You Calculate the Acceleration of a 42kg Ice Block Sliding Down a Slope?

1. What is acceleration?

Acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity over time. It is the measure of how quickly an object's speed is changing, either increasing or decreasing.

2. How is acceleration calculated?

Acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the change in time. The formula for acceleration is a = (vf - vi) / t, where a is acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time.

3. Why is the acceleration of a 42kg ice block urgent?

The acceleration of a 42kg ice block may be urgent if it is in danger of falling or moving quickly in an unexpected direction. This could pose a safety hazard to those around it and may require immediate action to prevent accidents.

4. How can the acceleration of a 42kg ice block be increased?

The acceleration of a 42kg ice block can be increased by applying a greater force or by reducing its mass. This can be achieved by pushing or pulling the ice block with more force, or by melting or chipping away parts of the ice block to make it lighter.

5. What units are used to measure acceleration?

Acceleration is typically measured in units of meters per second squared (m/s²) in the metric system, or feet per second squared (ft/s²) in the imperial system. Other units such as kilometers per hour squared (km/h²) or miles per hour squared (mi/h²) may also be used.