How Do You Calculate the Absolute Uncertainty of One Rotation Time in a Dryer?

In summary, to accurately measure the time it takes for the drum of a clothes dryer to make one rotation, one can use a stopwatch and measure the time it takes for a visible mark on the drum to reach the up-most position and return after 19 rotations. The error in this measurement can be calculated using the estimated reaction time of 0.2 seconds. To find the time it takes for one rotation and its absolute uncertainty, the formula for average speed can be used, with the distance being 19 rotations and the time being 18 seconds. This results in a time of 0.947 seconds and an absolute uncertainty of 0.189 seconds.
Arsenal11

Homework Statement

Lab 1: Question 6. (Note: each time you do this problem, the numbers will be different.)
I want to measure accurately the time it takes for the drum of my clothes dryer to make one rotation. Since the door on the dryer is made of heat resistant glass, I can see the drum rotate. I take my stopwatch, start it when a visible mark on the drum gets to the up-most position, and stop it when the visible mark on the drum returns to the up-most position after making 19 rotations. I estimate that my reaction time limits the accuracy of both my starting and stopping the stopwatch to 0.2 s. I measure that the 19 rotations take 18 s.

First, what is the error in my measurement of 19 rotations?

Second, what is the time it takes for one rotation and its absolute uncertainty (same as absolute error)?

Homework Equations

(not sure)

The Attempt at a Solution

For the first part of the question, I found the error in the measurement to be .28 s (which is correct) . However, I can't figure out the time it takes for one rotation and its uncertainty. I have gotten multiple answers such as 1.033 and 1.039 and 1.077. (all wrong)

Please help!

Physics news on Phys.org

Hello!

For the second part of the question, you can use the formula for average speed, which is distance/time. In this case, the distance would be 19 rotations and the time would be 18 seconds. So, the time it takes for one rotation is 0.947 seconds (18 seconds/19 rotations).

To calculate the absolute uncertainty, you can use the formula Δx/x = Δt/t, where Δx is the uncertainty in the distance (which is 19 rotations), x is the distance (which is also 19 rotations), Δt is the uncertainty in time (which is 0.2 seconds), and t is the time (which is 18 seconds). So, the absolute uncertainty for one rotation would be 0.189 seconds (0.2 seconds * 18 seconds/19 rotations).

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

Related to How Do You Calculate the Absolute Uncertainty of One Rotation Time in a Dryer?

1. What is absolute uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty is a measure of the range of values that a measurement may fall within. It represents the potential error or variation in a measurement and is usually expressed in the same units as the measurement itself.

2. How is absolute uncertainty different from relative uncertainty?

Absolute uncertainty is a fixed value that remains constant regardless of the magnitude of the measurement, while relative uncertainty is a percentage or ratio of the absolute uncertainty to the measured value. In other words, absolute uncertainty represents the actual size of the uncertainty, while relative uncertainty takes into account the size of the measurement.

3. How is absolute uncertainty calculated?

Absolute uncertainty is typically calculated by taking the difference between the highest and lowest possible values of a measurement. This can be determined by considering the precision of the measuring instrument and any potential sources of error in the measurement process.

4. Can absolute uncertainty ever be eliminated?

No, absolute uncertainty is inherent in all measurements and cannot be completely eliminated. However, it can be reduced by using more precise measuring instruments and techniques, and by minimizing sources of error in the measurement process.

5. How does absolute uncertainty affect the reliability of a measurement?

The higher the absolute uncertainty, the less reliable the measurement is considered to be. This is because a larger absolute uncertainty means there is a greater potential for the actual value to fall outside of the reported measurement. Therefore, minimizing absolute uncertainty is important for improving the accuracy and reliability of a measurement.