How Do You Calculate the 3dB Frequency for High and Low Pass Filters?

In summary, the high pass filter formed by the input capacitor and voltage divider network has a 3dB frequency of 10.582Hz when using R1 = 10k and R2 = 4.7k, and a 3dB frequency of 7.205Hz when using R1 = 4.7k. The output high pass filter has a 3dB frequency of 0.3386Hz when using C = 4.7uF and R = 100k. These values were calculated using the equations f = 1/2*pi*R*C and 2^N=high frequency/low frequency.
Duave

Homework Statement

(a) The input capacitor and the voltage divider network form another high pass filter. Calculate f3dB for the input high pass filter made with C = 4.7uF and the appropriate R value.

(b) calculate the f3dB for the output pass filter made with C = 4.7uF and R = 100K

https://scontent-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/t1/1660900_10151903463085919_1915092235_n.jpg

Homework Equations

f = 1/2*pi*R*C

2^N=high frequency/low frequency

The Attempt at a Solution

Question (a)
First attempt:R1 = 10k
R2 = 4.7k

R(total) = (10k)(4.7k)/(10K)+(4.7k)
R(total) = 3.20k

Hence the frequency is:

f = 1/ 2*pi*(3.20k)*(4.7uF)
f= 1/0.094499
f= 10.582HzSecond attempt:R1 = 4.7k

R(total) = 4.7k

Hence the frequency is:

f = 1/ 2*pi*(4.7k)*(4.7uF)
f= 1/0.1388
f= 7.205Hz

Question (b)

f = 1/ 2*pi*(100k)*(4.7uF)
f= 1/2.953
f= 0.3386Hz
Are any of the frequency values that were calculated correct?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks okay to me, but I don't understand what you are doing in your "second attempt" at part a).

Likes 1 person
berkeman said:
Looks okay to me, but I don't understand what you are doing in your "second attempt" at part a).

Thank you for your response. So since the second response doesn't look right then, I will use only the first responses as my answer.

Thank you very much

Related to How Do You Calculate the 3dB Frequency for High and Low Pass Filters?

1. How do you block frequencies?

There are several ways to block frequencies, but the most common method is to use a material that absorbs or reflects the specific frequency you want to block. This material is usually referred to as an electromagnetic shielding material.

2. What materials are effective for blocking frequencies?

Some common materials that are effective for blocking frequencies include metals like aluminum or copper, as well as conductive fabrics like copper mesh or carbon fiber. Certain types of foam and plastics can also be effective depending on the frequency range.

3. Can frequencies be completely blocked?

No, it is not possible to completely block all frequencies. However, it is possible to significantly reduce the strength of a frequency by using multiple layers of shielding materials or using specialized materials designed for specific frequency ranges.

4. Why would someone want to block frequencies?

Frequencies can be blocked for a variety of reasons, such as to protect sensitive electronic equipment from interference, to prevent eavesdropping or hacking, or to comply with regulations regarding the use of certain frequencies.

5. Are there any health concerns associated with blocking frequencies?

There are currently no known health concerns associated with blocking frequencies. However, it is important to carefully consider the intended use and potential side effects of any shielding materials before using them in a particular environment.