How Do You Calculate θ_dot in Polar Coordinates?

In summary: What does that mean in terms of the direction of motion of the particle?In summary, a particle moving with constant speed v along the curve r(θ) = a(1+cos θ) has a velocity vector v in polar coordinates given by v = dr/dt r + r dθ/dt θ. To solve for dθ/dt, we can first find the squared magnitude of v and then use implicit differentiation to get dθ/dt in terms of a and θ. The resulting expression for dθ/dt is v2/(2ar). The sign of dθ/dt can be positive or negative, indicating the direction of motion of the particle along the curve.
ma18

Homework Statement

A particle moves with const speed v along the curve r(θ) = a(1+cos θ).

Starting with the general expression for the velocity vector v in polar coordinates solve for θ_dot in terms of v, k, and θ. What does the sign of θ_dot signify?

Homework Equations

v = r_dot*r_hat + r*θ_dot*θ_hat

v = v * v_hat

r(θ) = a(1+cos θ)

r_hat = x_hat cos Θ + y_hat sin θ

v

The Attempt at a Solution

r_dot = -a sin θ

solving for θ_dot:

θ_dot = (v - r_dot * r_hat)/(r*Θ_hat)

I am lost here, I think I am missing some important relation and something that comes out of the fact that the speed in constant but I don't know what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.Edit:

I think I've got it, since the magnitude of unit vectors are one and θ_dot is a scalar I can just stop at

= (v*v_hat - r_dot * r_hat)/(r*Θ_hat)
= (v-r_dot)/r
= (v+a sin θ)/(a + a cos θ)

Is this right? What does the sign mean then, just the value?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
ma18 said:

Homework Statement

A particle moves with const speed v along the curve r(θ) = a(1+cos θ).

Starting with the general expression for the velocity vector v in polar coordinates solve for θ_dot in terms of v, k, and θ. What does the sign of θ_dot signify?

Homework Equations

v = r_dot*r_hat + r*θ_dot*θ_hat

v = v * v_hat

r(θ) = a(1+cos θ)

r_hat = x_hat cos Θ + y_hat sin θ

v

The Attempt at a Solution

r_dot = -a sin θ

solving for θ_dot:

I am lost here, I think I am missing some important relation and something that comes out of the fact that the speed in constant but I don't know what.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Edit:

I think I've got it, since the magnitude of unit vectors are one and θ_dot is a scalar I can just stop at

= (v*v_hat - r_dot * r_hat)/(r*Θ_hat)
= (v-r_dot)/r
= (v+a sin θ)/(a + a cos θ)

Is this right? What does the sign mean then, just the value?

Remember that you can't divide by a vector, that operation is not defined. So dividing by r*θ_hat is not allowed. What you want to do is start by getting the squared magnitude of ##\vec{v}##.

Then also, this is wrong: ##\dot{r} = -a \; sinθ##. Remember that θ is a function of time, you are doing implicit differentiation to get ##dr \over dt## which is ##\dot{r}##.

Okay I've got the answer to this as

θ_dot2 = v2/(2ar)

but I'm still not sure if I've got the hang of it, what would θ_dotdot and r_dotdot be?

Would Θ_dotdot just be the

v/(k√2) * 0.5 sin θ / (1+cos Θ)^1.5

and then r_dotdot be

r_dotdot = -k θ_dot ^2 cos θ

? I think this is right

You started with v = dr/dt r + r dθ/dt θ. Good.
(Note: I use bold for vectors. θ and r are the unit vectors in polar coordinates.)

So, what is v2 ? Remember the bit about differentiating r that you were alerted to in post 2. Get v2 as a function of a and θ only.

BTW I have no idea what k is supposed to be. Ignore it. Your only variables are v, r, a and θ, obviously. a is assumed a positive constant.

Then, solving for dθ/dt is easy.

Finally, you can ponder the idea that dθ/dt can be negative as well as positive.

Yes, your solution is correct. The sign of θ_dot indicates the direction of the particle's motion along the curve. A positive value for θ_dot means the particle is moving in a counterclockwise direction, while a negative value means the particle is moving in a clockwise direction. This is because the θ_hat unit vector is perpendicular to the r_hat unit vector and points in the direction of increasing θ. So, the sign of θ_dot signifies the direction of the particle's angular velocity.

Related to How Do You Calculate θ_dot in Polar Coordinates?

1. What are polar coordinates?

Polar coordinates are a two-dimensional coordinate system used to locate points in a plane. They are represented by an angle and a distance from the origin, rather than by the traditional x and y coordinates.

2. What is the role of theta in polar coordinates?

Theta is the angle component in polar coordinates. It represents the direction of a point from the origin, measured counterclockwise from the positive x-axis.

3. How are polar coordinates converted to Cartesian coordinates?

To convert polar coordinates to Cartesian coordinates, you can use the following formulas:
x = r * cos(theta)
y = r * sin(theta)
Where r is the distance from the origin and theta is the angle in radians.

4. What is the range of theta in polar coordinates?

The range of theta in polar coordinates is typically from 0 to 2π radians or 0 to 360 degrees. However, some applications may use a different range depending on their specific needs.

5. How are polar coordinates used in real-world applications?

Polar coordinates are commonly used in fields such as physics, engineering, and navigation. They are particularly useful for representing circular or rotational motion and for mapping locations on a sphere or other curved surfaces.