How Do You Calculate Tension in Two Ropes Holding a Suspended Object?

In summary, the tension in the wires is affected by the height of the object that the ropes are attached to, but the different heights of the object have no effect on the tension in the wires.
k1point618

Homework Statement

Ropes 3m and 5m in length are fastened to an object that is suspended over a cieling. the object has a mass of 5kg. the ropes, fastened at different heights, make angles of 52 degree and 40 degree with the horizontal. Find the tension in each wire, and the magnitude of each tention.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I kno that the tension on one rope, A and the tension on the other rope, B equal to the mass times gravity.
so AT+BT = mg
and i want to find the a equation for AT and BT

Just wondering, since i kno the angle and length of the rope, i know the verticle component of the rope. But then i don't kno where to go after that

Physics news on Phys.org
What you need to do is draw a force diagram and write down all the horizontal and vertical components of tension as a result of the mass.

Next, you need to use Newton's second Law and find the net force in both horizontal and vertical directions.

Just remember that net force (vector sum of components) = ma, and if the object is not moving, then the net force is zero.

Hi k1point618! :smile:
k1point618 said:
so AT+BT = mg

No, that's wrong … that only works if both ropes are vertical.

As jaseh86 says, you must treat the horizontal and vertical components separately.

The vertical ones will add to mg, and the horizontal ones to … ? :smile:

Horizontal adds to Zero!

Well, then i have
ATsin52 + BTsin40 = mg, and also

ATcos52 + BTcos40 = 0 ?

k1point618 said:
Horizontal adds to Zero!

Well, then i have
ATsin52 + BTsin40 = mg, and also

ATcos52 + BTcos40 = 0 ?

Yes! :smile:

So i was wondering, why does the problem give the length of the ropes? and how does the high difference of the cieling affects the problem?

k1point618 said:
So i was wondering, why does the problem give the length of the ropes? and how does the high difference of the cieling affects the problem?
k1point618 said:
Ropes 3m and 5m in length are fastened to an object that is suspended over a cieling. the object has a mass of 5kg. the ropes, fastened at different heights, make angles of 52 degree and 40 degree with the horizontal. Find the tension in each wire, and the magnitude of each tention.

hmm … it's a weird question, because you suspend things under a ceiling, not over it. :confused:

Are you sure you have given us the full correct question?

Sorry, Over a ceiling, but the ropes are fastened at different heights.

k1point618 said:
k1point618 said:
Sorry, Over a ceiling, but the ropes are fastened at different heights.

Then I've no idea why they give you that information. :redface:

so the different hieghts of the ceiling does not matter to the problem?

k1point618 said:
so the different hieghts of the ceiling does not matter to the problem?

No!

K, THANK YOU!:smile:

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in Two Ropes Holding a Suspended Object?

1. What is tension?

Tension is the force that is created when a string, cable, or other similar object is pulled tight between two points. It is the force that resists being stretched and is always directed along the length of the object.

2. How is tension related to force?

Tension is a type of force, specifically a type of contact force. It is the force that is exerted by a string or cable when it is pulled tight. The magnitude of tension is directly related to the amount of force being applied to the object.

3. What factors affect tension?

The amount of tension in an object is affected by several factors, including the amount of force being applied, the length and thickness of the object, and the material it is made of. The angle at which the object is being pulled can also affect the amount of tension.

4. How do you calculate tension?

To calculate tension, you will need to know the amount of force being applied to the object and the properties of the object itself, such as its length and material. You can then use equations such as F=ma or F=kx to determine the tension in the object.

5. What are some real-world examples of tension?

Tension is present in many everyday situations, such as when you pull on a rope to lift a heavy object, when a weight is suspended by a string, or when a rubber band is stretched. It is also present in more complex systems, such as the tension in a bridge or the tension in the cables of a suspension bridge.