How Do You Calculate Tension in a Two-Block, Two-Pulley System?

In summary: I got it now. Thanks for all the replies. Thanks to tigerseye too for posting this question. :smile:It's just about free body diagrams...draw the free body diagram for both of the masses..then apply Newton's second law: for the hanging mass you will get m1g-T=m1aand for the block on the table you will get 2T=m2a..add up these 2 equations you will get T=(m1+m2)a-m1g..this is the tension in the string..since we have two tension forces on the block on the table, the exerting force on it is 2T.I'm sure about my answer...Andrew
tigerseye
Based on the fact that the string is massless, and the system and table are frictionless, how would I find the tension in the string acting on mass 2?

Attachments

• blocksandpulleys.jpeg
    blocksandpulleys.jpeg
    6.1 KB · Views: 1,727
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the table is frictionless, the top pulley would be just free to move horizontally. The only contribution to the tension would be from m1. I think the tension would be just m1g, is it?

tigerseye said:
Based on the fact that the string is massless, and the system and table are frictionless, how would I find the tension in the string acting on mass 2?
The tension in the string is equal to 1/2 of the force accelerating the block (since the tension in the string both above and below the top pulley is acting on the block). So:

Ftension = mblockablock/2

Also, for the same reason, ablock=am1/2

The key here is to realize that while the downward force is m1g, it provides the acceleration for both masses.

So:

m1g = (m1am1+mblockablock)
= (m12ablock +mblockablock)
= ablock(2m1+mblock)

ablock = m1g/(2m1+mblock)

Resulting in:

Ftension = 1/2 x mblockm1g/(2m1+mblock)

(I think).

AM

But I think they only want the tension/answer in terms of m2 and a2!?

Heart said:
But I think they only want the tension/answer in terms of m2 and a2!?
a2? We aren't given a2. We have to figure it out first.

AM

I got it now. Thanks for all the replies. Thanks to tigerseye too for posting this question. :smile:

Last edited:
It's just about free body diagrams...draw the free body diagram for both of the masses..then apply Newton's second law: for the hanging mass you will get m1g-T=m1a
and for the block on the table you will get 2T=m2a..add up these 2 equations you will get T=(m1+m2)a-m1g..this is the tension in the string..since we have two tension forces on the block on the table, the exerting force on it is 2T.
I'm sure about my answer...Andrew is making mistake when saying that the mg in the first block provides the a for both of the masses..it is technically WRONG..becuase the cause of acceleration of the block on the table is tension force as you can see in the FBD.

pmrazavi said:
It's just about free body diagrams...draw the free body diagram for both of the masses..then apply Newton's second law: for the hanging mass you will get m1g-T=m1a
and for the block on the table you will get 2T=m2a..add up these 2 equations you will get T=(m1+m2)a-m1g..this is the tension in the string..since we have two tension forces on the block on the table, the exerting force on it is 2T.
I'm sure about my answer...Andrew is making mistake when saying that the mg in the first block provides the a for both of the masses..it is technically WRONG..becuase the cause of acceleration of the block on the table is tension force as you can see in the FBD.
I disagree. You seem to be overlooking the fact that the acceleration of the block is one half that of m1. While T = m1(g-a) it is not true that 2T = m2a (where a is the acceleration of m1).

Of course the block is accelerated due to the tension of the string, but that tension is due entirely to the force of gravity on m1. Gravity causes m1's acceleration and T: m1g = T + m1a

So solving for a (= acceleration of m1):

[tex]T = \frac{1}{2}m_2a_2 = \frac{1}{4} m_2a_1[/tex]

So substituting this into: T = m1(g-a) I get:

[tex]m_1(g-a) = \frac{1}{4}m_2a_1[/tex]

[tex]a = m_1g/(m_2/4 + m_1)[/tex]

AM

Last edited:

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in a Two-Block, Two-Pulley System?

1. How do two blocks and two pulleys work together?

Two blocks and two pulleys work together to create a mechanical advantage, allowing for a smaller force to lift a larger weight. The pulleys change the direction of the force, making it easier to lift the weight. This system also allows for the weight to be distributed between the two blocks, reducing the strain on each individual block.

2. What is the difference between a fixed and a moveable pulley?

A fixed pulley is attached to a stationary object and only changes the direction of the force applied. A moveable pulley is attached to the object being lifted and moves with it, providing a mechanical advantage. In a system with two pulleys and two blocks, one pulley is fixed and the other is moveable.

3. How does the number of pulleys affect the mechanical advantage?

The more pulleys in a system, the greater the mechanical advantage. Each additional pulley increases the mechanical advantage by the number of strands supporting the weight. In a system with two pulleys and two blocks, the mechanical advantage is 2.

4. What is the formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of two blocks and two pulleys?

The formula for calculating the mechanical advantage of two blocks and two pulleys is MA = 2, where MA is the mechanical advantage. This is because the two pulleys in the system provide a mechanical advantage of 2.

5. How is the tension in the rope affected by the system of two blocks and two pulleys?

The tension in the rope is equal throughout the system of two blocks and two pulleys. This means that the tension in the rope connecting the two blocks is the same as the tension in the rope supporting the weight, and the tension in the rope connecting the two pulleys is the same as the tension in the rope supporting the weight. This allows for an even distribution of weight and reduces the strain on each individual rope.