How Do You Calculate Tension in a Cable Connected to Springs?

• Thread starter aftershock
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cable
In summary, the conversation revolved around solving for the tension in a spring using the equation F = kx. The individual attempted a solution by breaking the tension into x and y components, but struggled for an hour to find a solution. They then discussed using geometry to find another expression for sin(\theta) or cos(\theta), but were unable to find a helpful solution. Ultimately, they were trying to solve for the tension in the spring by using the given length of the spring and the force acting on it.
aftershock

Homework Statement

http://img163.imageshack.us/img163/7491/staticsk.jpg

Those weird squiqqles are supposed to represent springs. Not exactly an artist :D

Homework Equations

F = kx

The Attempt at a Solution

After drawing a fbd and breaking the tension into x and y components I got:

ΣFy T(sinθ) =5

ΣFx T(cosθ) = T(cosθ)

T = 5x since the force acting on the spring is T and k is given as 5.

I tried taking the given 4ft into consideration, I tried seeing if there was some substitution I could make to solve any of those equations. Been struggling for like an hour now...

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
If the tension in the spring is kx, then the length of the spring is x+4 ft, because there's no tension if the spring is 4 ft long.

Try to find another expression for [itex] sin(\theta) [/itex] or [itex] cos(\theta) [/itex] just from the goemetry.

willem2 said:
If the tension in the spring is kx, then the length of the spring is x+4 ft, because there's no tension if the spring is 4 ft long.

Try to find another expression for [itex] sin(\theta) [/itex] or [itex] cos(\theta) [/itex] just from the goemetry.

I should've been more clear. I used x to denote the amount the spring is stretched.. not the total length of the spring.

And I have been trying for a while now. The only thing I can manage to do is sin/cos to get tan but I haven't done that in anyway that helps me out.

Anybody?

you get a right-angled triangle with corners middle of the block, one end of the block, attachment to the load

Related to How Do You Calculate Tension in a Cable Connected to Springs?

1. What causes tensions in cables?

Tensions in cables can be caused by a variety of factors, including the weight of the objects being supported by the cable, external forces such as wind or vibrations, and temperature changes.

2. How do you measure tensions in cables?

Tensions in cables can be measured using a variety of techniques, including strain gauges, load cells, and tension meters. These tools allow for accurate and precise measurement of the tension in a cable.

3. How do you solve tensions in cables?

The most common way to solve tensions in cables is by adjusting the length of the cable or the angle at which it is attached to its supports. This can be done manually or using specialized tools such as turnbuckles or cable tensioners.

4. Can tensions in cables be dangerous?

Yes, tensions in cables can be dangerous if they are not properly managed. Excessive tension can cause cables to snap or break, leading to potential injuries or property damage. It is important to regularly inspect and maintain cables to prevent dangerous situations.

5. How can tensions in cables be prevented?

Tensions in cables can be prevented by properly designing and installing the cable system, regularly inspecting and maintaining the cables, and monitoring external factors that could affect the tension. It is also important to follow safety guidelines and regulations for cable systems to prevent potential accidents.