How Do You Calculate Stopping Distance?

In summary, stopping distance is the distance a vehicle travels from the moment the driver reacts to a signal to stop until the vehicle comes to a complete stop. This is affected by factors such as reaction time and deceleration rate. The formula for calculating stopping distance varies depending on the specific situation, but can usually be found in driver training documentation.
zeo2396
I don't understand these words: stopping distance and reaction time! Can anyone show me how to solve or the formula of stopping distance and reaction time!

What are the factors affect the stopping distance?
Like, there is a car is traveling at 70 m/hr, and its reaction time is 2 seconds, what is the stopping distance? --> how to calculate the stopping distance?

Thank you very much!

Physics news on Phys.org
zeo2396 said:
I don't understand these words: stopping distance and reaction time! Can anyone show me how to solve or the formula of stopping distance and reaction time!

What are the factors affect the stopping distance?
Like, there is a car is traveling at 70 m/hr, and its reaction time is 2 seconds, what is the stopping distance? --> how to calculate the stopping distance?

Thank you very much!

Reaction time is the time between the signal to stop, and the beginning of decelertion. Like when you approach an intersection, and the traffic light turns yellow. You see that, and it takes you about a second to react to it and get on the brakes.

So your velocity is constant for part of the time interval, and then you decelerate for the rest of the time interval.

Does that help?

berkeman said:
Reaction time is the time between the signal to stop, and the beginning of decelertion. Like when you approach an intersection, and the traffic light turns yellow. You see that, and it takes you about a second to react to it and get on the brakes.

So your velocity is constant for part of the time interval, and then you decelerate for the rest of the time interval.

Does that help?

It's very helfull but I want to ask you that are there some factors that affect the stopping distance? like, time, speed.. or something like that?

Is there a formula to calculate the stopping distance in my example above?

zeo2396 said:
It's very helfull but I want to ask you that are there some factors that affect the stopping distance? like, time, speed.. or something like that?

Is there a formula to calculate the stopping distance in my example above?

Stopping distance is shorter if the reaction time is faster (right?) and if the deceleration is greater (like for higher-performance cars and sportbikes).

Deceleration rate varies quite a bit between vehicles (and road conditions). I googled California DMV Stopping Distance, and got some good hits. The Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) includes this type of (typical) info in the driver training documentation. Here is a hit off the hit list that should give you some ideas:

http://www.skytran.net/09Safety/03sfty.htm

Last edited by a moderator:

The stopping distance is the distance that a vehicle travels from the moment the brakes are applied until it comes to a complete stop. It is influenced by several factors, including the vehicle's speed, the driver's reaction time, and the road conditions. The formula for calculating stopping distance is: stopping distance = reaction time x speed + braking distance. The braking distance is determined by the vehicle's mass, speed, and the friction between the tires and the road.

To calculate the stopping distance in your example, we would first need to convert the speed from miles per hour to meters per second. This can be done by dividing the speed by 2.237. So, 70 miles per hour would be equal to 31.3 meters per second.

Next, we would need to calculate the braking distance. This can be done by using the equation: braking distance = (speed^2) / (2 x deceleration). The deceleration is a measure of how quickly the vehicle can slow down, and it is typically given in meters per second squared. For a car, a common deceleration value is 9.8 meters per second squared. So, plugging in our values, we get: braking distance = (31.3^2) / (2 x 9.8) = 484.3 meters.

Finally, we can calculate the stopping distance by adding the braking distance to the reaction time multiplied by the speed. In this case, it would be: stopping distance = (2 seconds x 31.3 meters per second) + 484.3 meters = 546.6 meters.

It is important to note that this is a simplified calculation and may not account for all factors that can affect stopping distance. Other variables, such as weather conditions and the condition of the vehicle's brakes, should also be considered when determining the stopping distance.

Related to How Do You Calculate Stopping Distance?

What is the stopping distance?

The stopping distance is the distance that a vehicle travels from the moment the brakes are applied to the moment the vehicle comes to a complete stop.

What factors affect the stopping distance?

The stopping distance is affected by various factors such as the speed of the vehicle, the condition of the road surface, the weight of the vehicle, and the condition of the brakes.

How is the stopping distance calculated?

The stopping distance can be calculated by using the formula: stopping distance = reaction distance + braking distance. The reaction distance is the distance the vehicle travels during the driver's reaction time and the braking distance is the distance the vehicle travels while braking.

What is the average stopping distance for a car?

The average stopping distance for a car traveling at 60 mph is approximately 240 feet. However, this can vary depending on the factors mentioned above.

Can the stopping distance be reduced?

Yes, the stopping distance can be reduced by maintaining a safe distance from other vehicles, keeping the vehicle in good condition, and being aware of road conditions and potential hazards.