How Do You Calculate Spring Constant in a Rotating System with a Broken Thread?

In summary: Since the forces are conservative, the integral is independent of the path. He is doing this in a fixed coordinate system, where the energy is independent of reference frame (you are essentially using a rotating system where the energy is not independent of reference frame). The fact that the potential is independent of the reference frame in the fixed system, means that the total potential must be independent of the path. This is not the case in the rotating frame, but the point is that the difference in energy between two points is independent of the path, so the energy difference between any two points is well defined.
Adel A

Homework Statement

(Sorry for my bad English)
A slippery (frictionless), light horizontal bar rotates about a vertical axis with a constant angular velocity ω. A cylinder with mass m, is initially attatched to a thread with length a and to a spring, which from the beginning has its "natural" length.
Suddenly the thread breaks. Now the maximum distance between the cylinder and the axis is b.
Determine the spring constant k for the spring.

I have uploaded a picture of the problem.

Thanks!

Homework Equations

* T = m*(v^2)*1/2
* -0.5⋅k⋅r^2
* An integration

The Attempt at a Solution

I got the correct answer by the following equation, but my teacher says that the "procedure" is wrong. The solution involves an integral.

Here is my solution:

In the beginning (when the thread is not cut), the cylinder only has the kinetic energy: T1 = 0.5⋅m(ω⋅a)^2.

When the thread is cut, the cylinder is rotating with a new radius, b, thus the new kinetic energy is T2= 0.5⋅m(ω⋅b)^2. However, since the thread is cut, the spring makes the energy: -0.5⋅k⋅(b-a)^2.
At this stage, the energy is: T2 + the energy from the spring = 0.5⋅m(ω⋅b)^2 - 0.5⋅k⋅(b-a)^2.

Then I set the energy from the first stage equal to the energy from the second stage:

0.5⋅m(ω⋅a)^2 = 0.5⋅m(ω⋅b)^2 -0.5⋅k⋅(b-a)^2.

I solved for k, and got the correct answer:
k = (m⋅(ω^2)⋅(b + a))/(b - a).

My teacher said that the procedure is wrong. He said:
⋅The energy is not preserved (as I have assumed).
⋅There should be an integration involved.
⋅The work from the spring is negative.
⋅The Kinetic energy increases.

Another teacher said:
⋅We have an external force which rotates the axis. The energy is not preserved.
He showed me this integral, which is not complete:

∫m⋅r⋅(ω^2) - k⋅(...) dr = 0

I don't know how to solve this problem, and I really need some help.
Thank you!

Attachments

• Bild 2015-03-17 kl. 13.49.jpg
    Bild 2015-03-17 kl. 13.49.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 489
Physics news on Phys.org
I am sorry for your teacher, but he is wrong. Your solution does make sense, but perhaps not in exactly the way you imagine it.

The first thing you need to do is to decide whether to consider the system from the fixed coordinate system or from a coordinate system that rotates with the bar. This is going to determine what "energy" means (note that energy is not independent of the reference frame). Your choice essentially corresponds to choosing a coordinate system that rotates with the bar. In this system there is a fictitious centrifugal force with a corresponding potential energy, which decreases as the cylinder travels outwards. This energy is essentially what you have called the "kinetic energy" of the cylinder (the cylinder also has a kinetic energy due to its radial movement, but you are looking for a point where this is zero). The total effective potential in this rotating system (which only has one degree of freedom) is the sum of the potential stored in the spring and the effective potential from the centrifugal force. Setting the potential at ##b## equal to the original potential at ##a## will give you the turning point as in any one-dimensional potential.

What your teacher's integral is doing is simply computing the potentials as the integral of the forces.

Likes Adel A and Chestermiller

Related to How Do You Calculate Spring Constant in a Rotating System with a Broken Thread?

What is a spring constant and why is it important?

The spring constant, also known as the force constant, is a measure of the stiffness of a spring. It tells us how much force is needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. This is an important concept in physics as it allows us to accurately predict the behavior of springs in different situations.

How do you calculate the spring constant?

The spring constant can be calculated by dividing the applied force by the resulting change in length or displacement of the spring. This can be represented by the equation k = F/x, where k is the spring constant, F is the applied force, and x is the displacement.

What are the units of spring constant?

The units of spring constant depend on the units of force and displacement used in the calculation. In the metric system, the standard units for spring constant are newtons per meter (N/m). In the imperial system, the units are pounds-force per inch (lbf/in).

How does the spring constant affect the behavior of a spring?

The spring constant determines the amount of force needed to stretch or compress a spring by a certain distance. A higher spring constant means the spring is stiffer and will require more force to stretch or compress, while a lower spring constant means the spring is more flexible and will require less force. The spring constant also affects the frequency and period of a spring's oscillations.

What factors can affect the spring constant?

The spring constant can be affected by the material of the spring, its length, diameter, and number of coils, as well as external factors such as temperature and applied load. These factors can alter the stiffness of the spring and therefore change its spring constant.