How Do You Calculate Spherical Harmonics for Given Quantum Numbers?

In summary, we need to find the spherical harmonics (Y_1)^1, (Y_1)^0, and (Y_1)^-1 as functions of the polar angles \theta and \psi and as functions of the cartesian coordinates x, y, and z. This involves normalizing (phi_l)^l to find the A constant, plugging it into the differential equation L_(phi_l)^l=(d/(d\theta))*(phi_l)^l-(l cot(\theta))*(phi_l)^l, and expressing the spherical harmonics in different coordinate systems. It is unclear if the defining differential equation needs to be derived or if the focus is solely on expressing the harmonics in different coordinate systems.
noblegas

Homework Statement

Find the speherical harmonics [tex] (Y_1)^1, (Y_1)^0, (Y_1)^-1[/tex] as functions of the polar angles [tex]\theta[/tex] and [tex]\psi[/tex] and as functions of the cartesian coordinates x, y , and z.

Homework Equations

[tex] \(phi_l)^l= sin^l(\theta)*e^il\psi[/tex]

[tex]L_\(phi_l)^l=(d/(d\theta))*\phi_l^l-l cot(\theta)\phi_l^l[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

The first thing I should do is normalized[tex]\(phi_l)^l[/tex] to get a value for the A constant

A^2*[tex] (sin^l(\theta)*exp(il\psi))^2[/tex]=1; should I plug in the values for m and l before I normalized the function or after I normalized the function

once I get the value for [tex] \(phi_l)^l[/tex] I can plug in this value into [tex]L_\(phi_l)^l=(d/(d\theta))*(\phi_l)^l-(l cot(\theta))(\phi_l)^l[/tex] correct?Not sure why I am finding the value for the lower opperator. Please inform me if you have a reallly really hard time understanding the latex code.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
just let me know if my latex is unreadable

noblegas said:
just let me know if my latex is unreadable

Pretty much - I'm not sure what it is you need to do; Do you need to derive the spherical harmonics directly from their defining differential equation or do you merely need to express them in the different coordinate systems?

Related to How Do You Calculate Spherical Harmonics for Given Quantum Numbers?

1. What are spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics are a set of mathematical functions that describe the spatial variation of a physical quantity on the surface of a sphere. They are used to solve problems involving spherical symmetry, such as in physics, astronomy, and engineering.

2. What is the spherical harmonics problem?

The spherical harmonics problem refers to the challenge of finding the solutions to a specific differential equation known as the Laplace equation, which arises in problems with spherical symmetry. This equation can be solved using spherical harmonics, but finding the appropriate solutions can be complex and requires specialized knowledge.

3. How are spherical harmonics used in science?

Spherical harmonics are used in a variety of scientific fields, including physics, chemistry, geophysics, and astronomy. They are particularly useful in problems involving spherical symmetry, such as describing the behavior of electrons in atoms or the distribution of gravitational potential around a planet.

4. What are the applications of spherical harmonics?

Spherical harmonics have many practical applications, such as in satellite geodesy for measuring the Earth's gravitational field, in computer graphics for creating 3D models, and in acoustics for describing the directional properties of sound waves. They are also used extensively in quantum mechanics and electromagnetism.

5. Are there any limitations to using spherical harmonics?

While spherical harmonics are a powerful tool for solving problems with spherical symmetry, they do have some limitations. They are most effective when the physical quantity being described is smooth and continuous, and they can become complex and difficult to work with when used in higher dimensions. Additionally, they may not be appropriate for problems with irregular or asymmetric shapes.