How Do You Calculate Speed and Uncertainty with Given Measurements?

• Thread starter Alipepsi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Uncertainty
In summary, the student is struggling with finding the speed of a moving object using the formula v=d/t and is unsure of how to incorporate uncertainties into the calculation. They have attempted the problem 15 times and have gotten different results each time. The student's measuring device was 228cm long and they need help finding the speed and uncertainties. They have tried using a website for guidance but are still confused and frustrated.
Alipepsi

Homework Statement

Hey there, I need some help with uncertainties and how to find the speed of a moving object. I have tried to solve the problem several times but my answer seems to be wrong.

Formula for speed : v=d/t
My uncertainties: 0.5cm (distance) and 0.5s for time. The uncertainties were measured with the same analog.
I did the experiment 15 times and got different speed result of the object each time. The total sum of the speeds ( 15 trials) was 44.99s. The average of that is 2.99 (15/44.99)
Oh and my measuring device was 228cm long (exact)

I need to find out the speed and the uncertainties
If I missed any detail please please let me know
PLEASE HELP! I'am very frustrated right now..=S

Homework Equations

Formula to use : v=d/t

The Attempt at a Solution

v=d/t
= (228 +\- 0.5)m/(2.99+\- 0.5)s
228 divided by 0.5 = 456%
2.99 divided by 0.5= 5.78%
456% +5.78%=461.98%

so now 461.98% * 76.2 ( which I got by diving 288 and 2.99)
my final answer was v=76.25m? +\- 39%..
I'am confused..

Physics news on Phys.org
Actually spend hours on trying to solve this :S
Help will be greatly appreciated!

anyone?

Check out this site here: http://www.rit.edu/cos/uphysics/uncertainties/Uncertaintiespart2.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Okey, thanks

Related to How Do You Calculate Speed and Uncertainty with Given Measurements?

1. What is uncertainty?

Uncertainty is the lack of knowledge or information about a particular situation or event. It can also refer to the inability to predict or determine a specific outcome.

2. How does uncertainty impact scientific research?

Uncertainty is an inherent part of the scientific process and can impact research in various ways. It can lead to the need for further experimentation or the development of new theories to explain unexpected results. It can also introduce potential errors and biases into data analysis. However, uncertainty can also drive scientific curiosity and lead to new discoveries.

3. How do scientists deal with uncertainty in their experiments?

Scientists use various techniques to manage uncertainty in their experiments, such as using control groups, replicating experiments, and using statistical analysis to quantify and account for uncertainty. They also carefully design and plan experiments to minimize sources of uncertainty and ensure accurate and reliable results.

4. What are some common sources of uncertainty in scientific experiments?

Some common sources of uncertainty in scientific experiments include measurement error, limitations of equipment and technology, variability in experimental conditions, and human error. External factors, such as environmental changes, can also introduce uncertainty into experiments.

5. How can the public better understand and interpret scientific uncertainty?

It is important for the public to understand that uncertainty is a natural and necessary part of the scientific process. It is not a sign of weakness or doubt, but rather a reflection of the complexity of the world we live in. To better understand and interpret scientific uncertainty, individuals can seek out reputable sources, ask questions, and critically evaluate information presented to them.