How Do You Calculate Sound Speed with Changing Path Length Interference?

In summary, when the sliding section is pulled out, the path difference changes by lambda/2, which does not have the same value as the distance the sliding section moves. This change in the path difference corresponds to a change in the wavelength of the waves.
kris24tf
Sound Waves Problem and I'm Stuck! Please Help!

Linear Superposition

The sound produced by a loudspeaker has a frequency of 12,000 Hz and arrives at the microphone via two different paths. The sound travels through the left tube LXM, which has a fixed length. Simultaneously, the sound travels through the right tube LYM, the length of which can be changed by moving the sliding section. At M, the sound waves coming from the two paths interfere. As the length of the path LYM is changed, the sound loudness detected by the microphone changes. When the sliding section is pulled out by 0.020 m, the loudness changes from a maximum to a minimum. Find the speed at which sound travels through the gas in the tube.

Yeah, so right now I understand that if the loudness goes from a maximum to a minimum, the interference condition changes from constructive interference to destructive interference.
When the sliding section is pulled out, the path difference changes by lambda/2, which does not have the same value as the distance the sliding section moves.

I am not sure where to begin. It seems like a changing variable question mixed with a straightforward question. If anyone could get me going I would appreciate it.

Physics news on Phys.org
kris24tf said:
When the sliding section is pulled out, the path difference changes by lambda/2, which does not have the same value as the distance the sliding section moves.

It seems that a diagram (not shown here) accompanies this problem. Can you use that diagram to determine the relationship between the change in the path difference and the distance the sliding section moves? If so, you should be able to calculate the wavelength (lambda).

You're given the frequency. How do you find the speed of a wave, if you know its frequency and wavelength?

I also am assigned this problem tonight (though with different numbers)

there is in fact a diagram that accompanies it:
17_06.gif

It looks to me that the curve of the sliding section has the same curvature as the static section .. thus one only has to consider distance to get to the curve and distance to return .. thus it seems to me that moving the slide out 0.020m would increase distance traveled by 0.040m .. this would, if your and my logic is correct, make the wavelength 0.080m ..

then just use
[tex] v = \lambda f [/tex]

~Phoenix9

Attachments

• 17_06.gif
    17_06.gif
    2.7 KB · Views: 519

Related to How Do You Calculate Sound Speed with Changing Path Length Interference?

What are sound waves and how do they work?

Sound waves are a type of mechanical wave that travel through a medium, such as air, water, or solids. They are created by vibrations and travel in a longitudinal pattern, meaning the particles of the medium move back and forth in the same direction as the wave. These vibrations are perceived by our ears as sound.

What is the difference between frequency and amplitude in sound waves?

Frequency refers to the number of vibrations or cycles per second of a sound wave, and is measured in Hertz (Hz). Amplitude, on the other hand, refers to the height or intensity of the sound wave and is measured in decibels (dB). Higher frequencies produce higher pitches, while higher amplitudes produce louder sounds.

What factors affect the speed of sound waves?

The speed of sound waves depends on the medium they are traveling through. In general, sound travels faster through denser materials, such as solids, and slower through less dense materials, such as gases. Temperature also plays a role, as sound travels faster in warmer air compared to colder air. Humidity and pressure can also affect the speed of sound.

How can I calculate the wavelength of a sound wave?

The wavelength of a sound wave can be calculated by dividing the speed of sound in the medium by the frequency of the wave. The formula is: wavelength = speed / frequency. For example, if the speed of sound in air is 343 m/s and the frequency of the sound wave is 100 Hz, the wavelength would be 3.43 meters.

What are some practical applications of sound waves?

Sound waves have many practical applications, such as in communication systems (e.g. telephones, radios), medical imaging (e.g. ultrasound), and navigation (e.g. sonar). They are also used in musical instruments, speakers, and microphones. In addition, sound waves are used in industrial processes, such as ultrasonic cleaning and non-destructive testing.