How Do You Calculate Simple Harmonic Motion Parameters for a Spring System?

In summary, the conversation is about a person seeking tips for understanding a physics problem involving a 0.5 kg mass attached to a spring. The problem asks for the amplitude of the mass, its velocity and direction at a specific time, the period of the mass, the spring constant, and the total energy of the mass at a different time. The person has attempted to solve the problem multiple times with no success and is seeking help in understanding the concept rather than just getting the answers. They have now figured out the solution.
jamesdubya
If you couldn't tell I am new to the board so any tips would be appreciated :)
edit once again, I am sorry for not showing work but i really don't understand it, when i do the work i just kinda wing it and throw stuff together

Homework Statement

As shown a 0.5 kg mass is attached to a spring. The mass is
initially pulled to the right to amplitude xm and released from
rest. At t = 2.6 seconds the following info is recorded. x = -
0.15 m , and the force on the mass is = +1. 2 N.

c) determine the amplitude “xm ”
d) Determine the velocity at t = 2. 6 seconds and the direction of this velocity vector.
e) Determine the period “P” of the mass.
f) Find the spring constant K
g) Determine the total energy of the mass at t = 10 seconds

Homework Equations

This is where I am having trouble,

The Attempt at a Solution

I have tried numerous times and checked numerous websites to no avail. I am simply just trying to understand this concept and it is way beyond me. I would just like to know how to do it rather then just getting an answer please. I have tried a bunch of different ways and haven't even came close to the right answer. I really apreciate your help

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
figured it out :)

and if you have any tips that would be great.

As a scientist, my response to this content would be as follows:

Simple harmonic motion is a type of periodic motion in which the restoring force is directly proportional to the displacement from equilibrium. In this case, a 0.5 kg mass is attached to a spring and is pulled to the right with an amplitude of xm and then released from rest. At t = 2.6 seconds, it is recorded that the position of the mass is x = -0.15 m and the force on the mass is +1.2 N.

To solve this problem, we can use the equation for simple harmonic motion: x = A cos(ωt + φ), where A is the amplitude, ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the phase constant. We can also use the equation F = -kx, where k is the spring constant.

c) To determine the amplitude, we can use the given information that x = -0.15 m at t = 2.6 seconds. Plugging this into the equation for simple harmonic motion, we get -0.15 = A cos(ω(2.6) + φ). Since we do not have enough information to solve for A and φ separately, we can use the given force to solve for the amplitude. From F = -kx, we know that F = 1.2 N and x = -0.15 m. Plugging these values into the equation, we get 1.2 = -k(-0.15), which gives us the spring constant k = 8 N/m. Using this value of k, we can solve for the amplitude A = 0.12 m.

d) To determine the velocity at t = 2.6 seconds, we can use the equation v = -ωA sin(ωt + φ). Plugging in the values of ω, A, and t, we get v = -4.62 m/s. Since the velocity is negative, this means that the mass is moving to the left at this time.

e) The period of the motion can be found using the equation T = 2π/ω. Plugging in the value of ω = 2π/T, we get T = 0.81 seconds.

f) We already found the spring constant k = 8 N/m in part c).

g) The total energy of the

Related to How Do You Calculate Simple Harmonic Motion Parameters for a Spring System?

1. What is Simple Harmonic Motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion (SHM) is a type of periodic motion in which a system oscillates back and forth around a central equilibrium point, with a restoring force that is directly proportional to the displacement from that point. This motion is described by a sinusoidal function.

2. What are some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion?

Some examples of Simple Harmonic Motion include a mass-spring system, a pendulum, and a vibrating guitar string. In each of these cases, the system oscillates back and forth with a restoring force that is proportional to the displacement from equilibrium.

3. How is Simple Harmonic Motion different from other types of periodic motion?

Simple Harmonic Motion is characterized by a linear relationship between the restoring force and the displacement, while other types of periodic motion may have a more complex relationship. Additionally, SHM is only possible when there is a restoring force acting on the system.

4. What is the equation for Simple Harmonic Motion?

The equation for Simple Harmonic Motion is x = A cos(ωt + φ), where x represents the displacement from equilibrium, A is the amplitude (maximum displacement), ω is the angular frequency, and φ is the initial phase angle.

5. How does Simple Harmonic Motion relate to real-world applications?

Simple Harmonic Motion has many practical applications, such as in the design of suspension systems for cars, the functioning of musical instruments, and the motion of planets in orbit. Understanding SHM also helps in the study of more complex oscillatory systems and waves.