How Do You Calculate RMS and Average Voltages for Different Waveforms?

• Thread starter pjrobertson
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Rms Waves
In summary: This causes the final sum to be incorrect.In summary, the average voltage for a triangular wave is 3.3 volts and the RMS voltage is 4.71 volts.
pjrobertson

Homework Statement

I need to find the average and RMS voltages for the waves (See attached pictures) but I'm not sure exactly how to do it as I don't know how to get an equation for V(t)

Homework Equations

I Know:

VRMS = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{T}\int V(t)^2 dt}[/tex] between 0 and T

And for Avg it's just VAVG = [tex] \frac{1}{T}\int V(t) dt[/tex] between 0 and T

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could find the averages by finding the total area for 1 period, then dividing by 1 period. This works (I think, as I don't have the answers)

Giving for the Triangular wave: [tex]\frac{T}{3} \times \frac{10}{T} = 3.3V[/tex]

and for the second sawtooth type wave: [tex] \frac{\frac{1}{2}\frac{T}{3} \times 1}{T} = \frac{1}{6}V[/tex]

Thanks

Attachments

• Picture 2.jpg
    Picture 2.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 301
  • Picture 1.jpg
    Picture 1.jpg
    3.8 KB · Views: 338
Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good for VAVG.

For VRMS, you'll need to write equations for the waveforms. To do that, you may choose any point to represent t=0.

That's the problem, I don't know what to write the equations as. The triangular wave has 3 functions. One for 0 - [tex]\frac{T}{3}[/tex] (upwards slanting triangle) one for 0 - [tex]\frac{2T}{3} [/tex] (downwards slanting triangle) and one for the last part of the waveform, which is just V(t) = 0.

What are the waveforms for the first 2 sections? And can they be summed like so?:

VRMS = [tex]\sqrt{\frac{1}{T}\int V_A(t)^2 dt} + \sqrt{\frac{1}{T}\int V_B(t)^2 dt}[/tex] the first integral being from 0 to T/3 and the second from T/3 to 2T/3

That's pretty much the idea, except that it would be

[tex]
\sqrt{\frac{1}{T}\int V_A(t)^2 dt \ + \ \frac{1}{T}\int V_B(t)^2 dt}
[/tex]

with, as you said, "the first integral being from 0 to T/3 and the second from T/3 to 2T/3"

I still can't seem to figure out the RMS values. The problem I have is determining the functions V(t) for each section of the wave.

I have an exam on this tomorrow so any help would be appreciated!

Note that the function is composed of straight line segments. Do you remember, from high school algebra,

y = mx + b

where m is the slope and b is the y-intercept?

For example . . .

. . . for the triangular wave, and 0 ≤ t ≤ T/3:

v(t) = m t + b

What is the slope m in this interval (0 ≤ t ≤ T/3)?
What is the intercept b in this interval?

Find m and b in this interval, and you'll have the function.

Do the same for the interval T/3 ≤ t ≤ 2T/3, and you'll have v(t) in that interval as well.

Hmm...
using v(t) = m t + b
I get:
[tex]V_A(t) = \frac{30t}{T}[/tex]
[tex]V_B(t) = 20 - \frac{30t}{T}[/tex]

So I tried integrating all of this, then taking the root (long and tiring process!) and I got V_RMS = 4.71V

Does this sound about right?

Here's the integration I did (without the square root)

[tex]\sqrt{\frac{30^2}{T^3}\int t^2 dt + \frac{1}{T}\int 400t dt - \frac{1}{T^2}\int 600t^2 dt + \frac{1}{T^3}\int 300t^3 dt}[/tex]

With the first being between 0 and T/3 and the last 3 parts being between T/3 and 2T/3
(there's 3 parts because of squaring [tex]20 - \frac{30t}{T}[/tex])

I hope this is right!

You're on the right track, but I do see a couple of errors.

You seem to have expanded (20 - 30t/T)2 incorrectly, in particular the "middle" term's coefficient of -600 is wrong.

Also, there is an extra factor of t in 3 of your integrals.

Related to How Do You Calculate RMS and Average Voltages for Different Waveforms?

1. What is the difference between RMS and average of waves?

RMS (Root Mean Square) is a measure of the effective value of a wave, taking into account both its amplitude and frequency. Average, on the other hand, is simply the arithmetic mean of the wave's values. In simple terms, RMS is a measure of the overall energy of a wave, while average is a measure of its central tendency.

2. How do you calculate the RMS and average of a wave?

To calculate the RMS of a wave, you square all of its values, take the mean of those squared values, and then take the square root of that mean. To calculate the average of a wave, you simply take the arithmetic mean of its values. Both calculations can be done using a mathematical formula or by using specialized software.

3. Why is it important to know the RMS and average of waves?

Knowing the RMS and average of waves is important in various fields such as physics, engineering, and electronics. These values provide important information about the characteristics of a wave, such as its energy and voltage level. They also help in understanding and predicting the behavior of waves in different systems.

4. Can you provide an example of how to use RMS and average in real-world applications?

One example is in electrical engineering, where the RMS value of an AC current or voltage is used to determine the power consumption of a circuit. In audio engineering, the RMS value of a sound wave is used to measure its loudness. In both cases, the average value may not accurately reflect the true characteristics of the wave, making the RMS value more useful.

5. Are there any limitations to using RMS and average for analyzing waves?

While RMS and average can provide valuable information about waves, they do have their limitations. For example, these values may not accurately represent the behavior of non-sinusoidal waves or waves with irregular shapes. In addition, they may not be suitable for analyzing complex waveforms with multiple frequencies. It is important to understand the specific characteristics and limitations of these values when using them for analysis.