How Do You Calculate Resulting Velocity Vectors in 3D Collisions?

In summary, you need to calculate the velocity vectors of the two objects, determine the normal of the two objects, and keep the momentum and energy constant.
MinatureCook
Hey, I've done quite a bit of Mechanics work in the past... But I really don't even know where to start here.

For some work I'm doing, I need to calculate the resulting velocity vectors when 2 objects collide. These 2 objects can be any shape, any mass and going at any velocity independently. (The simulation is in 3D, so x, y, z)

I suppose I'd have to calculate the normal of the two objects, do something with their velocity vectors and masses... And I suppose it would also depend on the objects' bounciness/stiffness etc...

If anyone could give me the names of some equations I can look into? Or any sort of help... Really just a place to start would be great.

Thanks for any help,
Stephen

Physics news on Phys.org
Commonly called a Billiard ball collision.

I'm Googling that term now, apparently it's also called "Elastic Collision" which is a great help (I had no idea of what to even start searching before) - but all of the equations seem to be confined to a 1D plane of movement.

Would it just be a matter of making the velocity vectors 3D? Here's to hoping so - it's just things rarely are so simple when transferring over to 3 dimensions in Maths :rolleyes:

Edit:
Ahh, actually - I just found this Wikipedia article
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elastic_collision
Which explains about 2D and 3D at the bottom. It's not as simple, but neither is it beyond my knowledge - so I'm happy there :P

Thanks a lot for the help; I genuinely wouldn't have known where to start looking without that

Last edited:
Perfectly OK to just go to 3 dimensions. Or as many as you like ;-)

You just have to resolve the velocities and momenta into 3 orthogonal directions.

Of course, you rarely have to do that in physics problems because any collision between two particles is only in 1 plane, even when it's a glancing collision.

You might want to consider inelastic collision - in the real world things tend to splat more than they bounce.

If it's not a serious project ( a game for example) you could equally well 'fake it'. Just use random direction changes and keep the total momentum/ energy constant (or lose a bit - inelastic). No need to meticulously work out contact angles.

I can provide some guidance on how to approach this problem. First, it is important to understand the principles of momentum and collision in 3D. Momentum is a property of a moving object and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity. In a collision, the total momentum of the system before the collision is equal to the total momentum after the collision, assuming there are no external forces acting on the system. This is known as the law of conservation of momentum.

To calculate the resulting velocity vectors after a collision, you would need to use the momentum equation, which states that the initial momentum (mass x initial velocity) of an object is equal to its final momentum (mass x final velocity). In 3D, this equation would need to be applied to all three components (x, y, z) separately.

In terms of the objects' shapes, masses, and velocities, you would need to consider the principle of impulse, which is the change in momentum of an object over a period of time. This can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to an object by the time it is applied. In a collision, the impulse is equal to the force applied during the collision multiplied by the time it takes for the collision to occur.

To determine the resulting velocity vectors, you would need to use the principles of conservation of momentum and impulse, along with the objects' masses, velocities, and stiffness, to solve for the final velocities. This can be done using vector algebra and trigonometry.

Some equations that may be useful in this problem are the impulse-momentum equation, the law of conservation of momentum, and the equations for calculating the final velocities in a 3D collision.

I recommend researching these equations and principles further and consulting with a physics textbook or a qualified expert for more specific guidance on your particular problem. Good luck with your work, Stephen!

Related to How Do You Calculate Resulting Velocity Vectors in 3D Collisions?

1. What is momentum in 3D?

Momentum in 3D refers to the quantity of motion an object has in three-dimensional space. It is a vector quantity that takes into account both the mass and velocity of an object.

2. How is momentum conserved in a collision in 3D?

Momentum is conserved in a collision in 3D according to the law of conservation of momentum, which states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. This means that the total momentum of all objects involved in the collision remains the same, even if the individual momentums may change.

3. What is an elastic collision in 3D?

An elastic collision in 3D is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is conserved. This means that the objects involved in the collision bounce off each other without any loss of energy.

4. What is an inelastic collision in 3D?

An inelastic collision in 3D is a type of collision where the total kinetic energy of the system is not conserved. This means that some energy is lost during the collision, usually in the form of heat or sound, and the objects involved may stick together or deform after colliding.

5. How is momentum calculated in 3D?

Momentum in 3D is calculated by multiplying an object's mass by its velocity vector. This can be represented mathematically as p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity. The unit for momentum in 3D is kg * m/s.