How Do You Calculate Resistance and Current in a Carbon Block Using Ohm's Law?

In summary, a block of carbon with a square cross section of 0.5cm sides and a length of 3cm has a potential difference of 8.4V maintained across its length. Using the equation R=pL/A, the resistance of the block can be calculated. Additionally, the current in this resistor can be determined using Ohm's Law. A visual representation of the block is a cuboid shape, similar to a packet of gum.
LeakyFrog

Homework Statement

A block of carbon is 3cm long and has a square cross section whose sides are .5cm long. A potential difference of 8.4V maintained across its length.
a)What is the resistance of the block?
b)What is the current in this resistor?

Homework Equations

R=pL/A
where p is resistivity

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm fairly certain i can solve this problem right quick if I could understand what exactly the block looked like. The description just doesn't make sense to me. I'm not sure if you can draw pictures on this or not but a picture would be helpful if someone can make one. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
From what I've read the block is a cuboid. Imagine a square that's 0.5cm by 0.5cm, now stretch that back in the third dimension by 3cm, and Bob's your uncle. A similar shape to a packet of gum.

Juicy+fruit.gif

thanks dude (or dudette)! helped a bunch!

No worries mate.

I can provide some clarification on the block of carbon described in the problem. The block is a rectangular prism with dimensions of 3cm x 0.5cm x 0.5cm. This means that it has a length (L) of 3cm and a cross-sectional area (A) of 0.5cm x 0.5cm = 0.25cm^2.

Now, let's apply Ohm's Law to solve for the resistance (R) of the block. Ohm's Law states that the resistance of a material is equal to the product of its resistivity (p), length (L), and cross-sectional area (A). In this case, the potential difference (V) is also given as 8.4V. So, we can write the following equation:

R = p x L/A = (8.4V) x (3cm) / (0.25cm^2) = 100.8 ohms

This means that the resistance of the block of carbon is 100.8 ohms.

To solve for the current (I) in this resistor, we can use Ohm's Law again. The relationship between current, voltage, and resistance is given by the formula I = V/R. So, we can plug in the values we know:

I = (8.4V) / (100.8 ohms) = 0.0833 amps

Therefore, the current in this resistor is 0.0833 amps.

I hope this helps to clarify the problem and provide a solution to the questions asked. It is important to note that resistivity is a property of a material, and it is dependent on factors such as temperature and composition. Ohm's Law is a fundamental principle in understanding the behavior of electrical circuits and can be applied in various situations. It is important for scientists to have a solid understanding of these concepts in order to accurately analyze and solve problems in their field of study.

Related to How Do You Calculate Resistance and Current in a Carbon Block Using Ohm's Law?

1. What is resistivity?

Resistivity is a measure of a material's ability to resist the flow of electric current. It is a physical property of a material and is represented by the Greek letter rho (ρ).

2. How is resistivity related to conductivity?

Conductivity and resistivity are inversely related. The higher the resistivity of a material, the lower its conductivity. This means that materials with high resistivity are poor conductors of electricity.

3. What is Ohm's Law?

Ohm's Law is a fundamental law in physics that relates voltage, current, and resistance in an electrical circuit. It states that the current flowing through a conductor is directly proportional to the voltage applied and inversely proportional to the resistance of the conductor.

4. How is resistivity measured?

Resistivity is typically measured using a device called an ohmmeter. The ohmmeter applies a known voltage to a material and measures the resulting current. The resistivity can then be calculated using Ohm's Law.

5. What factors affect resistivity?

Resistivity is affected by several factors including the type of material, its temperature, and its dimensions. Generally, materials with higher temperatures and longer lengths have higher resistivity, while materials with larger cross-sectional areas have lower resistivity.