How Do You Calculate Relative Velocity and Minimum Distance Between Two Boats?

In summary, a boat travelling due north at a velocity of 18km/h travels shorter distance than a boat travelling south-east at 15km/h.
BryceA
Okay here goes!

A boat "A" travels due north at a velocity of 18km/h , and a boat "B" travels south-east at 15km/h.

a) Calculate the velocity of "A" relative to "B".

b) If "B" is initially 30km north of "A", calculate the shortest distance between the two boats during the motion.
Right, so I as able to work out a) by simply drawing my vector diagram and then using the cosine rule to calculate the Vab (velocity of A relative to B) to be: 30.51km/h

Now what I can't figure out is how to place this new information given in b), I think its the phrasing that's tricking me, maybe.

PLEASE HELP! I just have to know how to do this one!

Physics news on Phys.org
30.51 km/h is not velocity. It is speed. Velocity has a direction - what is it?

Assuming you do have velocity of A relative to B, you can treat B as if it were stationary. So it is a point. The trajectory of A is then given by a straight line. Find the distance between the point and the line.

That makes sense! Let me give it a try and see what I get! Thank you voko :)

Okay now this is what is strange... When I do it the way I would if I were working with speed, I'm getting an answer completely different from what the model answer of the textbook is. The textbook reckons it should be 10.428km but I cannot understand how they would get such a value. If they want me to calculate the SHORTEST DISTANCE between them, then it means I must also have a time variable... Where in the world does this come from now?

In geometry, the distance between a point and a straight line is the shortest distance between them, by definition.

You do not have to involve time in this (even though you could). You just need to figure out how the point and the line are situated, and use a bit of geometry.

As Mr Voko said you have to understand what relative speed means. Find relative velocity of B to A. From north B is traveling south-east. The shortest is the perpendicular line from line B to point A

Likes 1 person
Now I see what you guys are trying to say. After I drew a new vector diagram, it kinda came together! I think its my misunderstanding of the concept of relative velocity that needs work. Thank you so much guys! Now I can breathe...

Related to How Do You Calculate Relative Velocity and Minimum Distance Between Two Boats?

1. What is relative velocity?

Relative velocity is the measurement of the motion of an object in relation to another object or frame of reference. It takes into account the speed, direction, and position of both objects.

2. How is relative velocity calculated?

To calculate relative velocity, you must first determine the velocities of both objects. Then, you can use vector addition or subtraction to find the relative velocity between the two objects.

3. What is the difference between relative velocity and absolute velocity?

Absolute velocity is the measurement of an object's speed and direction in relation to a fixed point or reference frame. Relative velocity, on the other hand, takes into account the motion of two objects in relation to each other.

4. How does relative velocity affect collisions?

Relative velocity is crucial in determining the outcome of collisions between moving objects. The relative velocities of the objects before and after the collision can help determine the direction and speed of the resulting motion.

5. Can relative velocity be negative?

Yes, relative velocity can be negative. This can occur when the two objects are moving in opposite directions or when the relative velocity is in the negative direction compared to the direction of motion of one of the objects.